• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How do I retrain my brain

Hello all, New to forum. I've basically lost personal support and need advice to continue my journey toward better health. I am 9 months post surgery and the last 3 months have stalled on weight loss. It feels like my support (husband) is trying to work against my weight loss and it is really stressing me out. I have found myself going back to my go to stress reliever and that is food. I have a lot of things going on in my head and for those who would go on walks or something to relieve anxiety, I have a hard time doing, because of my physical disability. I don't know how to retrain my brain from eating when I'm stressed. What do y'all do?

Hello all, New to forum. I've basically lost personal support and need advice to continue my journey toward better health. I am 9 months post surgery and the last 3 months have stalled on weight loss. It feels like my support (husband) is trying to work against my weight loss and it is really stressing me out. I have found myself going back to my go to stress reliever and that is food. I have a lot of things going on in my head and for those who would go on walks or something to relieve anxiety, I have a hard time doing, because of my physical disability. I don't know how to retrain my brain from eating when I'm stressed. What do y'all do?

Hi and welcome. :)

Have you tried meditation? I have become a big fan since my surgery. I find that doing it first thing each day grounds me for whatever I face during the day. There are a few free ones that I've used: MeditationExperienceFreeStreams.

Even if you're like me and can't "quiet" your thoughts for long, I still find it beneficial for the few seconds at a time where I can.

There are also a bunch of books that focus on struggles with food and weight. I found this link to a good list: The 5 Books You Must Read If You Struggle With Food Or Weight. From this list, I'm currently reading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

We all need to change our thinking in order to succeed in this journey. I am doing all I can to stay emerged in positivity.

Try journaling. Put everything in a book. Write gratitude lists. Embellish them with stickers. Write down motivational sayings in your phone's notepad and look at them. Make a hobby of it. It is fun. It is distracting.

Try coloring books, too, along with journaling. It sure destresses.

Journaling is a great idea and you can make it fun with Bullet Journaling. If you haven't heard of it, definitely google it. You can even google "Bullet Journal Weight Loss" to get ideas on what charts, logs, and trackers to use. It definitely occupies your mind with activities while keeping you focused on weight loss. And it gives you a very interesting journal to look back on :)

I stole this picture from pinterest but it gives you and idea of what it is:

Do you like to read? Maybe a thriller or a romance? I like to read the romance novels that have a heroine and a hero. Love the Cinderella stories. I also like puzzles. Either on my IPad or the old fashion kind with 1,000 pieces.

Back