• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I need help.

ecapp

Hi my name is Eileen. I had my surgery in October of 2006 and did well. I went from 272 to 165 in 2 years. Then my life became stressful. My husband and mother passed away. I retired from a job I had for 36 years due to changes in the retirement system. I was home and unhappy and started eating more and more. I have put on approx. 35 lbs and I can't seem to loss it. I feel awful. I was down to a size 10 and now I'm a 14 again. I am so uncomfortable. I was even thinking of going back to my doctor and discussing lap-band surgery. Is this possible? Maybe I just need support from people who have been there. So tell me, does anyone have any suggestions? I need your help. Thank you.

Hi Eileen and welcome to the forum. I can relate to your losses. I lost my husband and brother within 3 months of each other and my mom several years earlier. In addition, I lost my only other brother 5 years ago. This type of stress can trigger overeating but you are trying to turn things around after just 35 pounds, not 100 plus. I'm not sure about having a lap band done but 35 pounds is a reasonable amount to lose by traditional dieting which is what I would try first. I think a great thing to do would be to attend a live support meeting close to where you live once or twice a month. This forum is great but if you could interact with some people in person it would be even better. You can send me private messages if you prefer not to post publicly. I understand exactly what you are going through.

Hi Ecapp, Welcome. I am very sorry for your losses. I lost my mom 15 years ago, she passed after hernia surgey from heart failure due to morbid obesity, I wish this surgery was more available back then it could have saved her life, and my wife wife passed away 10 years ago this June from a very agressive lymphoma and it still weighs heavy on me. Stresses like these can all trigger weight gain whether we over eat or not, it is just a natural response from our bodies. Don't beat yourself up over a few ponds, you had the bypass so the WL tool is still there, you just need to start from the beginning, feastorfamine (Pattie) on the forum can get you started in the right direction she had also gained some weight back and is now on a downward trend, the surgery never goes away. The emal plan sterts much the same way as the post op meal plan does, protien shakes then a strict meal plan with portion control , and soon enough it will all start to feel like old habit post surgery. good luck and let us know how you are progressing, I know you can do it. :cool: Tom

thanks

Thank you both for your encouragement. I know I eat to much and have stretched my stomach. But if I start to drinks the shakes again and follow a meal plan will my stomach shrink again? If that is the case I will be so happy. I just want to feel the way I did when I had lost the full amount. So now I have a total of about 50 to loss to get where I want to be. I will be checking in here often for the encouragement I need. Maybe down the line I will be able to help someone else.
Thanks again

Eileen-Like Tom mentioned send a private message to feastorfamine (Patti) and ask her for direction to "the 5 day pouch test". If you follow this plan you will know if your pouch is still "working". Patti can tell you her story and how she got back on track 10 years after her surgery. She started with the 5 day pouch test then modified her meal plan to start losing weight again. Please let us know how you are doing.

Back