• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ideas

DWillie

I lost 27ilbs after the surgery then started to gain it back. I would start to lose weight than my body would plateau. I became extremely depressed couldn’t believe this was happening. A co-worker encouraged me to join a cross fit gym. Wow, in two months I dropped 18lbs. I signed up with a nutrition coach. I started using the app fitness pal. I feel great and my body seems like it’s back on track. I would suggest a gym with a nutrition and personal trainer. I’m finding I have foods that are giving me issues like eggs. And...I’m drinking a gallon of water per day. If you’re stuck don’t panic or give up. Get rid of sugar increase protein. Keep a general list of all you’re eating, be honest. If I can do it so can you. Don’t give up!

I’m 2 months in and have stalled at 301. I’m not able to really exercise because of knee mobility. I do chair exercises it’s not enough. I’m going to go back to my soft diet with my protein shake and hope this will get me going again. Money’s tight right now can’t afford a gym. I hope I’m not going backwards. Went though to much pain to get this far.

I lost 27ilbs after the surgery then started to gain it back. I would start to lose weight than my body would plateau. I became extremely depressed couldn’t believe this was happening. A co-worker encouraged me to join a cross fit gym. Wow, in two months I dropped 18lbs. I signed up with a nutrition coach. I started using the app fitness pal. I feel great and my body seems like it’s back on track. I would suggest a gym with a nutrition and personal trainer. I’m finding I have foods that are giving me issues like eggs. And...I’m drinking a gallon of water per day. If you’re stuck don’t panic or give up. Get rid of sugar increase protein. Keep a general list of all you’re eating, be honest. If I can do it so can you. Don’t give up!
First, welcome to the group! And that is great that you have found what your body needs to continue the weight loss journey! Crossfit is definitely something on my list to do in the future, but right now I am just trying to get to a point where my lower back and knee won't scream at me for my workouts. I know eventually I will be able to do it, but I have to wait just a bit longer :)

I’m 2 months in and have stalled at 301. I’m not able to really exercise because of knee mobility. I do chair exercises it’s not enough. I’m going to go back to my soft diet with my protein shake and hope this will get me going again. Money’s tight right now can’t afford a gym. I hope I’m not going backwards. Went though to much pain to get this far.
You have done great so far! I know you will continue to do so :) Just keep in mind that everyone plateaus at some point (or multiple points). Don't stress too much and just keep doing what you are doing!

First, welcome to the group! And that is great that you have found what your body needs to continue the weight loss journey! Crossfit is definitely something on my list to do in the future, but right now I am just trying to get to a point where my lower back and knee won't scream at me for my workouts. I know eventually I will be able to do it, but I have to wait just a bit longer :)
I with you Miss on the back and knees. Ouch!

A few years back, A co-worker convinced me to see a personal trainer who runs a CrossFit gym. It was great until my knees gave out. All the weight I lost (25+ lbs) came roaring back (up 35+ lbs in 6 months).
Working out doesn't require a trainer or a fancy gym. Talk to your Dr. and start working out at home. Buy a gallon jug of something (milk, water etc). Add some water to it and there you have a weight to do arm curls. Add more water as you get stronger. Walk around the block. As you feel better, walk faster and further. Carry a milk jug as you walk. These may seem simple and foolish, but the purpose of CrossFit is to get you able to do the various activities of life. Some of the gyms are focused on too much exercise and can cause damage, but most of the routines are variations of what we do (or should be doing) in our daily lives.
As for working out in the water, my mother was with a group doing swim aerobics for almost 30 years. At 91, she is still doing it (though not as well as a few years ago) and she is in good shape with no joint issues in the last 20+ years.

I went to the YMCA and for those who are 50 and over on a fixed income the "y" offers 30 dollars a month for people. You might want to check with your area on this. Or anyone really.. you never know.
FYI, I joined the Y about 15 years ago and I pay $14 a month for my membership, which includes all the YMCAs in the Puget Sound area. I think in fact it covers all the YMCAs in the US. Great suggestion, Red! Oh also, there are many many no impact and low-impact things you can do at the Y, and afterward you can have a steam and sit in the hot tub! Going to the Y for me is like having a spa day.

This is very encouraging . What is considered CrossFit training ?
Crossfit is high intensity, interval training. It takes into account movements you do daily like squats, pushing and pulling, etc. A lot of places make it a different workout every time. You could end up lifting a giant tractor tire from a lying position to a standing position and then push it over. Keep doing that until you have moved it down the yard. It helps with strength and conditioning. I have a crossfit gym nearby that does free sessions for the public on Saturday mornings. It will kick your butt but it is totally worth it!

Back