• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Kaiser hospital stay L.A.

Bill S.

I’m a guy and would like to know how the hospital stay is before ,during and after surgery for guys . Do you get a catheter put in ? I think that’s my biggest worry other than pain or something else going wrong. Ladies can answer too ! I’M having gastric bypass surgery

I’m a guy and would like to know how the hospital stay is before ,during and after surgery for guys . Do you get a catheter put in ? I think that’s my biggest worry other than pain or something else going wrong. Ladies can answer too ! I’M having gastric bypass surgery
I had to stay 2 days in the hospital. First day I did have a catheter. I was glad I did because first time getting up was alittle rough. Next day was much better. I didn't get anything at all to eat or drink for the first day, the day of surgery. The next day I got jello twice and of course all the water I wanted to drink.
I am 3 weeks post op. Each day gets better. I am now down 18 pounds sense surgery. I can honestly say I feel great and my knee and leg pain is so much better. I am so glad I had this surgery. I wish all the best with your surgery and your journey.

I had to stay 2 days in the hospital. First day I did have a catheter. I was glad I did because first time getting up was alittle rough. Next day was much better. I didn't get anything at all to eat or drink for the first day, the day of surgery. The next day I got jello twice and of course all the water I wanted to drink.
I am 3 weeks post op. Each day gets better. I am now down 18 pounds sense surgery. I can honestly say I feel great and my knee and leg pain is so much better. I am so glad I had this surgery. I wish all the best with your surgery and your journey.
Wow thanks Cher ! That’s kinda what I thought happens .Been doing a lot of research . Glad you’re doing so good.Hope I do the same. I still don’t know if I’ll be able to handle the catheter though! Ouch!

Last edited:
Wow thanks Cher ! That’s kinda what I thought happens .Been doing a lot of research . Glad you’re doing so good.Hope I do the same. I still don’t know if I’ll be able to handle the catheter though! Ouch!
You know I was worried about that also. When I had another surgery about 20 years ago I just wanted the catheter out. This time it didn't seem to bother me at all. It didn't really hurt when they took it out. The nurse told it hurts when they put the catheter in but it was surgery they put it in. Good luck to you. Please keep us informed on how you are doing.

I would ask your surgeon what their policy on that is. For mine, there was no catheter. I walked myself into the operating room and then once out, I was up and walking within 2 hours of waking up. I feel like every program is different so definitely check in with your doctor.

You know I was worried about that also. When I had another surgery about 20 years ago I just wanted the catheter out. This time it didn't seem to bother me at all. It didn't really hurt when they took it out. The nurse told it hurts when they put the catheter in but it was surgery they put it in. Good luck to you. Please keep us informed on how you are doing.
I will my surgery date is November 25 .Just need to lose 5 pounds before Nov. 12 my Surgeon said then start the liquid diet .Should be ok since I actually like the Premiere protein shakes

I had gastric sleeve so I know it's a bit different but i stayed overnight. I didnt have a catheter when I woke up from surgery.

Back