• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Latest Blood Work

So I ran in yesterday for my fasting blood work and most of it was great. My glucose was 84 and my A1C 5.1. Before surgery I was diabetic and my morning sugar was running 170ish and my A1C between 7 and 8. So this is the number for me. But since my husband also had bloodwork and got the results back we went line by line.

And my B12 is CRAZY HIGH! And if you look that up online it's basically severe liver disease, kidney failure or blood cancers. So I decide I'm dying. Then I calm down, realize they changed my vitamins since my last blood work up and go look at the dosage of vitamin B12. It's 5,833% of the RDV. That's obscene. Although apparently your liver and kidneys usually filter out any excess b12, so I'm still freaked out.

BUT .. why in the world would a vitamin be given out at over 5000% of it's recommended daily value? And why would my WL program recommend such a thing? They stopped recommending my previous vitamin because they took out calcium. I would rather take an extra calcium pill than sit around worrying about freaking blood cancers!! As a side note: the internet is a beautiful thing .. except for when looking up medical issues lmao

Good news Missy about your numbers for glucose and A1C!

That is puzzling about the B-12. I just looked on my bottle of 1000 mcg of B-12 and it says 41,667%!!!! And get this, my husband takes that and still was low on his B-12 so he now takes 2,000 mcg so there must be something here we don't know. I may need to do some research. Times like this I miss my computer!! I find it so much easier to use than the phone or tablet.

Missy, my B levels were high on my CBC a month or two ago, too. I just started taking the supplement every other day in hopes of correcting. Never happened before. I don't know why the number goes up or down, but I should. I take responsibility for my health. Thanks for sharing. Knowing someone else has something going on really helps keep me grounded and logical.

Ok so I had to find out how much Vit B12 I'm taking daily. It's 2,500 mcg., and it's 104,167% of the rda. Whaaaaat??? OMG o_O I cannot see how this amount can be ok.

My husband has an appt Tues with our PCP, who also had WLS. For sure I'm gonna ask her about this. She actually was the one that alerted me about the need for B12 for bariatric patients, which was reaffirmed by my nutritionist. So IDK. Maybe I need a slightly lower dose? LOL

Thanks for alerting me/us to this.

This is interesting, indeed, because vitamin B, like C, is water-soluble. That means you pee away what your body can't use.

But that's a lot.

My 1000mcg sublingual B12 is 41 percent of the govt's RDA. I don't know what that means to my body, since I also get a lot of B6 and 12 in my daily, and take 2 of those since RYGB.

Really confusing! Of course, it's important not to take too many vitamins that can live in fat layers, as you can develop deficiencies elsewhere.

Blood tests are the best way to measure nutritional levels.

Well, there ya go. I also read that it's supposed to clear out in your urine. Aaaannnnd ... apparently my old vitamin also had around 5000% of the daily value So, I guess I'll see what's going on when I go to my doctors appt. I'm scheduled in like 2 weeks. I just went and got my blood work in advance.

My vitamin has 1000mcg of vitamin B12 which is 41,667% of the daily value. That being said, my vitamin B12 was high at my 6 month appointment but I was supplementing more B12 because my energy was super low. I have stopped taking extra because my NP told me to stop. I will have my blood work in a couple weeks, so it’ll be interesting to see where it’s at now. But, I have a genetic condition called MTHFR where the B vitamins do not absorb in my system correctly. I’ve always had to take more B than needed.

And my B12 is CRAZY HIGH! And if you look that up online it's basically severe liver disease, kidney failure or blood cancers. So I decide I'm dying. Then I calm down, realize they changed my vitamins since my last blood work up and go look at the dosage of vitamin B12. It's 5,833% of the RDV. That's obscene. Although apparently your liver and kidneys usually filter out any excess b12, so I'm still freaked out.
You generally don't need to be worried about high levels of B-12 when you are supplementing. It would be a concern if your levels were very high and you weren't taking supplements.

I forget, did you get the sleeve? If so, there could be a few factors. First, it's not unusual to have high B-12 readings when you are taking supplements. Also, malabsorption can often be non-existent in sleeve patients so it's not unusual to get enough B-12 through diet and/or infrequent supplementation. Since I'm plant based and don't eat meat, but mine was very high as well, so now I only supplement two times a week. Some of the foods I eat have added B-12. Also, I found that my multi-vitamin had a pretty large amount of B-12, so all of it was adding up to very high levels.

If your doctor isn't worried about it, you probably don't need to be, but you might talk with them about cutting back your dose a bit, if you want.

Back