• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Life after lap band removal

Malia

Hello - facing removal of my lap band (have had it 15 years) due to esophageal issues and acid reflux. Has anyone had their band removed, and if so, did you go straight into vertical gastrectomy, by-pass, etc., or go without for a period of time? Did you regain your weight?

Hi Malia, welcome!

I had lapband surgery and had the issues you are speaking off. So I went from removing all restriction in the band (but left the band in there) for several years which led to weight regain.

I then decided on VSG and they removed the band at the same time. If you are considering having surgery, why not do it at the same time? Unless of course you are one of the people that must have it removed due to complications.

Thank you for your response, Judy. How was the recovery from the VSG surgery? Have you had any problems with acid reflux after having VSG?
No problems at all with reflux with VSG. Though I must point out that the lapband was what caused me to have reflux and regurgitation (I didn't have reflux prior) and I've had none of that with VSG! Keep in mind that if you suffered from reflux before the band you may be prone to it and VSG will not be any better. For those people RNY is usually recommended, so please discuss with your doctor.

I had a very rare complication after surgery, I developed a surgical sight infection which led to sepsis and then I had internal bleeding following. So I am not the best person to ask about recovery. BUT, once those complications were fixed and I recuperated from those two things, I did very well.

I hope that didn't scare you, but I always answer honestly. I feel it is better that people know the risks even if the percentage of risk is low. And I have no regret of having the surgery.

Back