• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Low on energy

Cher123

Has anyone else been low on energy sense they had surgery. I am one month post op and I got out of the shower this morning and couldn't catch my breath. I just wonder if it could be caused from low iron. I go back to my surgeon on my Monday. I think I will see what he thinks it could be. I was just wondering if anyone else has anything similar happen to them.

If you had the roux en Y bypass then low iron could be the culprit, or dehydration. make sure you take your supplements as directed and get your quota on water everyday. Especially in the beginning while you're healing, these two things are essential. Make sure you're not taking Calcium and iron to close to each other. Iron needs a slightly acidic environment to be absorbed and calcium creates an alkaline environment. If u don't have iron that's already mixed with vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) then take a Vit C with your iron. Also make sure you're getting enough B12. B12 is essential for hemoglobin production and nervous system function. Not enough B12 and all of the iron in the world won't help. Sublingual sprays (or drops) or injections work best.

Has anyone else been low on energy sense they had surgery. I am one month post op and I got out of the shower this morning and couldn't catch my breath. I just wonder if it could be caused from low iron. I go back to my surgeon on my Monday. I think I will see what he thinks it could be. I was just wondering if anyone else has anything similar happen to them.

Yes, the first 4 weeks I was especially beat. Fortunately, I was able to take that time away from work and could take a nap during the day when it really hit me. It should pass as long as all your levels are fine. I'm sure your surgeon's office will be watching your blood-work carefully moving forward.

Yes, the first 4 weeks I was especially beat. Fortunately, I was able to take that time away from work and could take a nap during the day when it really hit me. It should pass as long as all your levels are fine. I'm sure your surgeon's office will be watching your blood-work carefully moving forward.
Thank you for your advice. It really eases my mind. I have had surgery before but I don't remember being this wiped out from it. It seems like it's a job just to take a shower, cook supper for hubby or even getting dressed anymore

Oh yea. There were days I couldn’t even step over my tub to get into the shower. I couldn’t make my bed without getting winded or lightheaded. Luckily I was on a liquid diet. I’m 9 weeks in and I just started like I was getting back to normal. It will get better

Oh yea. There were days I couldn’t even step over my tub to get into the shower. I couldn’t make my bed without getting winded or lightheaded. Luckily I was on a liquid diet. I’m 9 weeks in and I just started like I was getting back to normal. It will get better
Thank you for sharing. I was beginning to think something else was going on with me. I'm wanting to get released to go back to work tomorrow. My sister thinks I need to have my iron checked out

Thank you for your advice. It really eases my mind. I have had surgery before but I don't remember being this wiped out from it. It seems like it's a job just to take a shower, cook supper for hubby or even getting dressed anymore
I know that feeling. My first 4 weeks everything was an effort just getting out bed was a job. I went back to work at 4 weeks. That was a no no. It takes awhile for your energy to build back up. But tell you doctor. He may want to do a blood panel to see if you are low on something. Hope you feel better soon

Thank y
I know that feeling. My first 4 weeks everything was an effort just getting out bed was a job. I went back to work at 4 weeks. That was a no no. It takes awhile for your energy to build back up. But tell you doctor. He may want to do a blood panel to see if you are low on something. Hope you feel better soon

Thank your advice. I greatly appreciate it. I will have him do a blood panel. Better be safe then sorry

Next week will be two months out and I am still wiped out by the end of most days. During the first four weeks I was ready for a nap shortly after waking up! Now I start to trail off mid afternoon. I can tell it improves every week but it is tiring just thinking about it! Your body just needs to adjust to the decrease in calories and amount of food. Hang in there! We will have energy again eventually!

Next week will be two months out and I am still wiped out by the end of most days. During the first four weeks I was ready for a nap shortly after waking up! Now I start to trail off mid afternoon. I can tell it improves every week but it is tiring just thinking about it! Your body just needs to adjust to the decrease in calories and amount of food. Hang in there! We will have energy again eventually!
Thank you. I am trying. I had surgery 20 + years ago. I don't remember feeling this drained all the time.

Back