• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Mentally down

My surgery isn’t until after the first of the year...and I’m trying so har right now to start eating right...I’ve been doing the shakes and doing pretty good with protein but today I just feel defeated I had cheesecake and pizza I just feel like I’m not actually going to be able to do this.

We all stumble or have a slip up. You’re human it happens, but don’t let that deter you from your goals. You’ve got this.

My surgery isn’t until after the first of the year...and I’m trying so har right now to start eating right...I’ve been doing the shakes and doing pretty good with protein but today I just feel defeated I had cheesecake and pizza I just feel like I’m not actually going to be able to do this.
Roseanne and Mimi are absolutely right, we all have our hiccups. That's why we pursued surgery, to get that extra tool to help us. Forgive yourself and get your head back in the game. This won't be the last stumble but as long as you keep getting back on track before it snowballs, I promise that you'll be successful after surgery! So glad you wrote, that's the best thing to do. Get it out and let it go. :)

My surgery is next week and im feeling the same way. All along ive only lost about 8 lbs, haven't really done the diet like i should and eating what ever. Im scard and having magor anxiety I'm not going to be able to do this. As much as i want to lose weight and be healthy I'm having a hard time. Just wanted to share with you

My surgery is next week and im feeling the same way. All along ive only lost about 8 lbs, haven't really done the diet like i should and eating what ever. Im scard and having magor anxiety I'm not going to be able to do this. As much as i want to lose weight and be healthy I'm having a hard time. Just wanted to share with you
Sorry you're struggling, it's good you're reaching out. Are you considering canceling your surgery?

If not and you're just having doubts, focus this last week and remember that once you have surgery, hunger won't get in your way anymore. Overeating is also impossible in the beginning. It's easier in that perspective but if you aren't prepared to let go of your friend Food, that can hit you like a truck.

Perhaps some counseling could help you out before you make such a life-changing decision. I hope you're able to make the decision that's best for you.

You will be able to do this! In the months before my surgery I had so many days where I ate bad, got take out, and always thought the same thing: if I can’t eat right now what will I do post op? Trust me you will be ok. I am a week post op and doing well, hang in there and don’t get too down on yourself. We all struggle with this that’s why we are here.

Roseanne and Mimi are absolutely right, we all have our hiccups. That's why we pursued surgery, to get that extra tool to help us. Forgive yourself and get your head back in the game. This won't be the last stumble but as long as you keep getting back on track before it snowballs, I promise that you'll be successful after surgery! So glad you wrote, that's the best thing to do. Get it out and let it go. :)
So well said. I really needed to hear that today. Thank you.

You will be able to do this! In the months before my surgery I had so many days where I ate bad, got take out, and always thought the same thing: if I can’t eat right now what will I do post op? Trust me you will be ok. I am a week post op and doing well, hang in there and don’t get too down on yourself. We all struggle with this that’s why we are here.
I am glad to hear that I am not alone. The past few days didn't go so well for me. But, today I am focusing on all the good days that I have had and it's going well. I am back at it, making good decisions.

My husband and I used to take our granddaughter to school every day. One day I was still near the school building after all of the kids went inside, I heard the principal make her morning announcements and then ended with "Today is a good day to have a good day." So, I hope all of you have a good day!!
I love this Roseanne! I think we should all say this to ourselves in the mirror each morning!

I agree with everyone. We all struggle at times before and sometimes after. You have to keep telling yourself ( I’m doing this to live longer and to be healthy ). Someone ask me why don’t I wait until after the holidays to have my surgery.
My answer was: the holiday will be my real test. Well everyone it setting around the table with food pile high on their plates. I will be content with my little taste of this and a little taste of that.

Since you have plenty of time before surgery, try to taper off. One week stop bread, next week stop sweets, next week pizza or soda.
I slowly tapered off and i think was a big help.
I am a sweets junky but for some reason the thing I want most is bread, specially if we go to a restaurant.

Good luck to you.

Please dont feel defeated. That is a real part of the journey. The key is to not beat yourself up and continue through. You can do it!!!

No matter how many times you have a setback, remember that tomorrow is a new day full of possibilities and containing no mistakes. Try to do it again. Only repetition will help you make it to your surgery goal.

Maybe your affirmation should be "Everything I eat contributes to my journey." Say it over and over and over and said every time you feel tempted. Then instead of eating the cheesecake, just say no and walk away. And remember that I love you and I have every good wish for you. I believe in you.

My husband and I used to take our granddaughter to school every day. One day I was still near the school building after all of the kids went inside, I heard the principal make her morning announcements and then ended with So, I hope all of you have a good day!!
Wow if that isn't a great affirmation I don't know what is. What an awesome principal! Roseanne, we do not see enough of you. You must have a lot of great stories and ideas to share with the group. Please post more often and remember, I love you.

Thank you so much for sharing. I never saw your post because it came in during a time when I was taking a sabbatical. I hope you had surgery and that you are recovering well. Please update us, even if you decided against the surgery. And remember, I love you

Back