• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My 1 year anniversary check up

kph

I am now down to 155.4 lbs. My Dr. says I'm doing great. I no longer have to take iron and B12 suppliments as my levels are high. My BMI is now 28. The Dr. says not to worry about getting down to what is considered normal BMI because I am carrying about 15 to 20 lbs in extra skin. He doesn't want me to become emaciated and to quote the Dr. I am "practically perfect in every way". After this check up I am on cloud 9. I also am now walking 4.50 miles in 70 minutes about 3 to5 days a week.

Kph

hi wow you've done well, fantastic weight loss and exercise, you must feel like a new person. May I ask what kinds of food you are able to eat now that it's been a year?
I am waiting for my surgery date so I am always asking ? of others, I want to make sure I am prepared for what is ahead and it's always so encouraging to read where other's like yourself have made such a wonderful success and doing well.
Congratulations
Donna

KPH-What wonderful news, congrats! Does your excess skin bother you or causing any problems like rashes? I don't plan on having any surgery done unless any excess skin I end up with is causing a serious medical problem. I'm 57 so it's not like I'm going to be wearing a bikini or other revealing articles of clothing in public *LOL*

Make sure to visit the forum often. I'm sure you have a lot of experience to share.

No problem with the excess skin so I will not be having it removed. I'm 56 so no bikinis for me either. I'll check out the forum as often as I can. My boyfriend is having lap band surgery on April 2 so I like to check out forums for him too.

Hi, Donna, I am able to eat just about anything but not a lot of fats and not beef like steaks. I can eat soft beef and venison as long as its been braised long and slow to make it soft. I have no problem with sugar but since I've stayed away from it for so long I see no reason to start eating it now.
PS never be ashamed of your weight not presurgery or post. We are all in the same boat. We've all had severe weight problems or we wouldn't be here. You are a success now just because you have made that very hard decision to have the surgery. Be proud of yourself!!!

wow!

wow- congratulations on your success story,kathy! i just started the process to have surgery, so have a few months to go. however, i love reading success stories such as yours. you are clearly on track and i applaud your efforts! may i ask what kind of surgery you had?

Thank you for your kind words and I had gastric bypass. If you have any questions about the process we're all hear to listen and help if we can. The process for me was kind of long (6 months) I don't know if it's that long for everyone getting rny. I didn't have any setbacks in the process ie: insurance or anything like that so I was lucky I think. Good luck to you it is a gratifing process I think.

KPH

HI how are things your way? Hopefully your boyfriend has deceided to keep his surgery date? Your success story is what keeps the rest of us working towards our goals. Keep us posted on yourself and how he does with his new healthy journey too.
take care

Donna

Hi kph, it looks like thing are going great for you, I just had my 2 year check up and everything is doing good chlesterol it normal, and all my vitamin levels are good except my D3 but that is always low I keep forgetting to up my dosage in the winter, so I will just stay at a high dose year around. Keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Hi Donna, Steve has decided to keep his surgery date (April 2) and he's doing good with the liquid diet. (a little crabby though, but I can't have everything)
I'm glad my journey can inspire others. Now I will have another obstacle to overcome which is a little reconstructive surgery on my right foot. I am waiting till fall to have it done so my summer isn't wrecked but it will mean 2 months of no excersize possibly more. I'm nervous about that. The surgery is a piece of cake but I don't want to gain any weight back. I guess i'll have to watch my food intake VERY closely.

Thank you. My insurance requires participation in a 6 month program before considering authorizing this type of surgery. May i ask why you chose bypass instead of the sleeve?

hi KPH

happy to hear your doing so well and that your boyfriend is keeping his surgery date. I can understand you putting your foot surgery off and being concerned about exercise and all. I've seen exercise's that can be done while sitting in a chair, most arm exercises but I would think just moving your muscles would help, ask your doctor so you know ahead of time what you will be allowed to do. You've come to far to have a set-back now. Happy for you and your man going through this journey TOGETHER I think that's awesome. You're both gonna succeed and be 2 very happy healthy people, I am sure you're encouraging and you know exactly how he feels from experiencing yourself.
One day who knows you 2 might write a book on your journey and your success. could be healthy and rich at the same time. Keep up the good work. proud of both of you.
Donna

Hi kph, it looks like thing are going great for you, I just had my 2 year check up and everything is doing good chlesterol it normal, and all my vitamin levels are good except my D3 but that is always low I keep forgetting to up my dosage in the winter, so I will just stay at a high dose year around. Keep up the good work. :cool: Tom

Congratulations on your 2 year check up Tom. I know you work hard to maintain your weight loss and to stay healthy so the good news is well deserved!!!

Actually the sleeve was not an option for me. I don't really know why but it was never offered to me and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't research it enough to request it. I am happy though with the rny so I guess it all worked out. I did research the band and felt the rny was a better choice as did the Dr. My boyfriend is getting the band on Monday. It was the better choice for him.

Back