• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

My urine is dark, even though I've only been drinking water

Long story short. I'm 2 weeks post VSG. I've been drinking water. Not a ton of water. Roughly 20oz-25oz a day. A lot less than I drank pre-surgery (60oz-80oz). But that's all the water I can drink 2 weeks out. It's a far greater than the days following surgery, where I only drank ½oz-1oz a day. But my urine is still a dark yellow. No foul smell. But not clear. My nutritionist says it's a sign of dehydration. This is something I've never had to worry about before. I've had dark urine previously. But that only occurred when I drank liquids other than water. I don't even know what dehydration feels like. I don't what to do. I feel weak mentally. I feel like I'm not in control of my own body. I am very scared. I don't want to pass out randomly. And I don't want to die, or have to be rushed to the hospital for an IV.

I would suggest you go to Ed to be hydrated! You mentioned that you don't want to go..but you can't continue like this! You'll feel better. Probably won't be in there long. You definitely don't feel good. Sorry for your misery. Call your doctor please!

I would suggest you go to Ed to be hydrated! You mentioned that you don't want to go..but you can't continue like this! You'll feel better. Probably won't be in there long. You definitely don't feel good. Sorry for your misery. Call your doctor please!
I completely agree, please call your doctor or just get to the ER, you need IV hydration big time. I had to have it done a week post-op, you just need to sit there a few hours. Please go, this is dangerous.

I agree as well.
Also try eating SF popsicles and SF jello. sometimes these are a bit easier to go down than all that water.
I'm 8 weeks out and it is still a struggle to get to 60 oz of water. Sometimes I'm still working on my water at close to midnight.

Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon.

I'm struggling too. My doc says 48oz minimum a day. I'm trying to just keep water by my side all day and all some as often as I can. However drinking had become repulsive at this point. I explained me dilemma to the nurse and she berated me so I'm doing my best. I'm not feeling terrible but my urine won't lighten.

Yes, yes I agree. Get to the ER. Dehydration it nothing to play with.
I was 2 weeks in when I started having dizzy spells and lightheaded. Off to ER I went. I were there about 5 hours. They run lab work etc. I had 2 1000 liters of IV fluids and 2 small bags of some type of vitamins. I felt much better after. But it forced me to focus harder on my fluid in take. I’m all most up to the 64 oz. I include in 2 protein drinks and the popsicles I
have. It’s hard but you can get pass this. Now get to ED.

Last edited:
Back