• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nausea & Acid Reflux

New here, first post. 17 months after cancer surgery I have constant nausea when eating.
Sometimes a glass of wine eases the feeling, sometimes not.
The nausea fades a hour or so after eating.
Also have a problem with bad taste in mouth, burning sensation from GERD, acid reflux.
Normal sensation?
72 year old vet diagnosed with stage 111 stomach cancer

Thank you both for the good wishes & welcome.
Oncologist has no idea what is causing the nausea.
Currently taking Famotidine 20Mg twice a day for gerd/acid reflux.
It gives some relief but, it does not always work.
So far, the only relief I see from the nausea is alcoholic beverages prior to eating.
Glass of wine or two, or mixed drinks (whiskey & water), seems to do the trick an hour before eating.
On a positive note, my last two scans were clear, no sign of any cancer.
After reading the problems others are having, my problems seem insignificant.

Everyone matters regardless of the trials each person is facing. Surviving cancer that is an accomplishment. I have no ideas to offer on meds but talk to dr. Tell him the current med is not doing the trick. See if there is something else he can offer.

Ranitidine is generic Pepcid. Although alcohol is not strictly contraindicated, it is listed as something to avoid.

In any event, your doctor should weigh in.

Surviving Stage lll cancer is amazing. Since this is your stomach, it's truly life-saving. I love scotch, neat, but I'd never drink again if I'd had stomach cancer. Have you had bariatric surgery?

I'm 70, and I know I'll be lucky to live 25 more years. For the most part, I do everything I can to stay healthy and strong--not because I want more time--because I don't want to suffer.

I'm also a cadaver donor, which excites me. It's a gift that's worth thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of dollars to a medical school. I was an organ donor, but I've lived an adventurous life and doubt my organs would help anyone but a pathology student.

Regular use of alcohol would make liver studies very profitable to anyone studying disease, especially if the organ came from a regular consumer of alcohol, or who survived Hep A, like me.

Welcome. I hope you have a great doctor.

Ranitidine is generic Pepcid. Although alcohol is not strictly contraindicated, it is listed as something to avoid.

In any event, your doctor should weigh in.

Surviving Stage lll cancer is amazing. Since this is your stomach, it's truly life-saving. I love scotch, neat, but I'd never drink again if I'd had stomach cancer. Have you had bariatric surgery?

I'm 70, and I know I'll be lucky to live 25 more years. For the most part, I do everything I can to stay healthy and strong--not because I want more time--because I don't want to suffer.

I'm also a cadaver donor, which excites me. It's a gift that's worth thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of dollars to a medical school. I was an organ donor, but I've lived an adventurous life and doubt my organs would help anyone but a pathology student.

Regular use of alcohol would make liver studies very profitable to anyone studying disease, especially if the organ came from a regular consumer of alcohol, or who survived Hep A, like me.

Welcome. I hope you have a great doctor.

Hi Diane, Thank you for the reply.
Dr. tells me Famotidine is newer & better, same as Pepcid.
I had surgery after Flot5 Chemo reduced the size of the cancer.
Surgeon removed stomach, part of esophagus, some lymph nodes and gall bladder.
Previous bar owner, no stranger to drinking or tobacco use, smoked cigarettes for 58 years, quit at 70 years old.
Been getting lung scans annually for ten years with no sign of any lung cancer.
I was quite shocked at the stomach cancer diagnosis
Also an organ donor, hope they may benefit some purpose.
I think I have a great oncologist & surgeon, saved my life!
Marty

Back