• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need advice

Planning is the main thing. I know about a month i hit a stall so be prepared. But after that stall i lost 30 lbs quick. The stall could last a few weeks. Dont be shocked. But plan ur meals and set timers for water and everything
Thank you for the advice. Do you have any recipes suggestions for the purée stage? I’m eating yogurt, egg whites, farina , baby food and soups right now

This is two weeks post op and I need advice to succeed in this journey.I’m having trouble figuring how to do everything from the purées to schedules and remembering the fluid intake and protein shakes, it’s stressing me out. I’m usually super organized and love planning but this process feels overwhelming.
Hey Mimi, the pureed stage was the hardest for me. I hate eggs but lived on scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese mixed in. That helped. Yogurt too & Yasso frozen yogurt bars.

For my purée- soft stage. I’m doing cream soups. Putting it the blend for a bit first. Yoga, scramble eggs.
As for liquids. It’s hard believe me. I keep a bottle of water or crystal light with me even next to my bed. So I’m drinking at night also. So far as the protein drinks (depending on the brand) I can get 2 down. That’s not every often.
The group also told me that popsicles and jello also counted as liquids.

This is two weeks post op and I need advice to succeed in this journey.I’m having trouble figuring how to do everything from the purées to schedules and remembering the fluid intake and protein shakes, it’s stressing me out. I’m usually super organized and love planning but this process feels overwhelming.
Hi Mimi! I am right there with you. The scheduling of everything is insane, and I am a very organized and scheduled person regularly. I actually wrote up a schedule for a typical day during recovery that includes meal times, when to take vitamins/meds, and when to drink my protein shake. When I know I am going to have a day unlike a typical day, I work out a new schedule. I don't know if you have a smart watch or not, but I have found value in using the alarms on it. I have them set to remind me when to do certain things, and that way it only vibrates on my wrist instead of sounding off so everyone can hear :)

I have been on the puree stage since I left the hospital and have had to play around with some of the foods to get the nutritional values where I want them to be. I typically eat applesauce and either cottage cheese or yogurt with pumpkin apple butter mixed in for flavor for my breakfast. Lunch is creamy chicken soup and protein pudding. My dinner is what I look forward to daily, a ricotta bake. I have put the recipes below for some of these if you would like to try them out.

Pumpkin Apple Butter:
1-15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin puree
1 apple, peeled & grated
1/2 c truvia baking blend (I think now it is called cane sugar blend)
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, pinch of clove)
1/8 tsp salt

Blend together all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until think and velvety. At this point I allowed it to cool and then threw it in the blender to ensure it was smooth. Store in covered container in refrigerator. I add about 1/2 tbsp to 1 1/2 tbsp plain yogurt and it tastes amazing!

Protein Pudding: make any sugar free package of pudding and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder. For one ounce it comes out to have 3.2 g of protein.

Creamy Chicken Soup:
1 can cream of chicken soup
5 oz evaporated milk
5 oz water
5 oz can of chicken in water
1 scoop unflavored protein powder

Add all ingredients to a pot (to add the protein powder, first place in separate bowl and add some water to make it a liquid, then add it to the pan) and bring to a simmer. Use immersion blender or throw in a blender to puree the chunks.

Ricotta Bake:
8 oz ricotta
1 egg - beaten slightly
unflavored protein powder w/ little bit of water to dissolve it
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/2 c mozzarella cheese
pepper
salt
garlic powder
italian seasoning
marinara sauce

Place all ingredients except the marinara sauce in a food processor and mix. I then put it in a blender as well to puree it a little further. Place 3 oz in a container and top with 1 oz of pureed marinara sauce. Refrigerate and heat for 30 sec - 1 min in microwave when ready to eat. Delicious!!! And it contains 11 g protein (I do use a protein marinara sauce that helped with that as well).

Hi Mimi! I am right there with you. The scheduling of everything is insane, and I am a very organized and scheduled person regularly. I actually wrote up a schedule for a typical day during recovery that includes meal times, when to take vitamins/meds, and when to drink my protein shake. When I know I am going to have a day unlike a typical day, I work out a new schedule. I don't know if you have a smart watch or not, but I have found value in using the alarms on it. I have them set to remind me when to do certain things, and that way it only vibrates on my wrist instead of sounding off so everyone can hear :)

I have been on the puree stage since I left the hospital and have had to play around with some of the foods to get the nutritional values where I want them to be. I typically eat applesauce and either cottage cheese or yogurt with pumpkin apple butter mixed in for flavor for my breakfast. Lunch is creamy chicken soup and protein pudding. My dinner is what I look forward to daily, a ricotta bake. I have put the recipes below for some of these if you would like to try them out.

Pumpkin Apple Butter:
1-15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin puree
1 apple, peeled & grated
1/2 c truvia baking blend (I think now it is called cane sugar blend)
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, pinch of clove)
1/8 tsp salt

Blend together all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until think and velvety. At this point I allowed it to cool and then threw it in the blender to ensure it was smooth. Store in covered container in refrigerator. I add about 1/2 tbsp to 1 1/2 tbsp plain yogurt and it tastes amazing!

Protein Pudding: make any sugar free package of pudding and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder. For one ounce it comes out to have 3.2 g of protein.

Creamy Chicken Soup:
1 can cream of chicken soup
5 oz evaporated milk
5 oz water
5 oz can of chicken in water
1 scoop unflavored protein powder

Add all ingredients to a pot (to add the protein powder, first place in separate bowl and add some water to make it a liquid, then add it to the pan) and bring to a simmer. Use immersion blender or throw in a blender to puree the chunks.

Ricotta Bake:
8 oz ricotta
1 egg - beaten slightly
unflavored protein powder w/ little bit of water to dissolve it
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/2 c mozzarella cheese
pepper
salt
garlic powder
italian seasoning
marinara sauce

Place all ingredients except the marinara sauce in a food processor and mix. I then put it in a blender as well to puree it a little further. Place 3 oz in a container and top with 1 oz of pureed marinara sauce. Refrigerate and heat for 30 sec - 1 min in microwave when ready to eat. Delicious!!! And it contains 11 g protein (I do use a protein marinara sauce that helped with that as well).

Thank you for your advice.and recipes. Definitely going to try them. Good luck on your journey.

Back