• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need advice

Renee7878

I had sleeve surgery yesterday and all went well. Have been able to get up and walk around. However I occasionally feel crampy like I am going to throw up. It typically happens after I drink something. Is this normal? I had a tsp of protein shake and it happen.

@Renee7878 congrats on making it through surgery as I am 2 weeks out post op I have no experienced vomiting I can say that crampy feeling is normal especially early on but now as I try to eat soft and puree' I am still alarmed as food goes down as I feel full easily and make sure I don't over eat I haven't has any nausea or vomiting but im sure someone that has will be along soon to advise you on what or what not to, I really hope the subsides and its not constant wishing you the best and a speedy recovery

I had sleeve surgery yesterday and all went well. Have been able to get up and walk around. However I occasionally feel crampy like I am going to throw up. It typically happens after I drink something. Is this normal? I had a tsp of protein shake and it happen.
Congratulations on your new beginning. :) Yes, it is normal to have some cramping and nausea in the beginning. It will subside. Try to make yourself drink your water despite it. You need to stay hydrated even if you can't drink thicker things like protein shakes yet. I was only allowed clear fluids the first week post-op, maybe you should try that?

You are ready to start the next part of the journey congratulations. I never had issues with nausea. I was on clear liquids almost 2 weeks post- op. I’m on soft now, and so far so good. I’m suppose to be on soft for 2 week. But if I don’t feel
I’m ready for the next phase I will just stay on soft. Good luck glad to hear you are feeling a little better.

Last edited:
Today is the first full day home, making sure to balance how much I’m walking and resting, doing my best to get all my fluids in despite the cramping. Should I still be pushing through the cramps to get the fluids in? Not sure when I should stop and give my stomach a break. I’ve been taking a sip is fluids every 5-10 minutes.
Also, in three days post surgery and no weight loss. Is that normal? Could it be from the IV fluids in the hospital since I was dehydrated?

Last edited:
Today is the first full day home, making sure to balance how much I’m walking and resting, doing my best to get all my fluids in despite the cramping. Should I still be pushing through the cramps to get the fluids in? Not sure when I should stop and give my stomach a break. I’ve been taking a sip is fluids every 5-10 minutes.
Also, in three days post surgery and no weight loss. Is that normal? Could it be from the IV fluids in the hospital since I was dehydrated?
Hi Renee,

Glad you're settling in at home. I didn't weigh myself for the first 10 days or so after surgery because I knew there would be fluid retention so that's normal.

When you say cramping, how severe is it? How small are your sips? I would talk to your doctor because you need to be able to stay hydrated. If the pain is preventing that, your doctor needs to know.

Cramps are mild and they don’t prevent me from staying hydrated. The sips are tiny but if I take too many close together or one bigger sip I notice the cramps. I think I am overthinking again lol over analyzing every little ache and pain then searching stuff online. My biggest fear post surgery has been blood clots (which I know is rare and I have never had one), but after walking outside a bit I had soreness in my calves. Ugh I’m driving myself crazy !

Last edited:
Cramps are mild and they don’t prevent me from staying hydrated. The sips are tiny but if I take too many close together or one bigger sip I notice the cramps. I think I am overthinking again lol over analyzing every little ache and pain then searching stuff online. My biggest fear post surgery has been blood clots (which I know is rare and I have never had one), but after walking outside a bit I had soreness in my calves. Ugh I’m driving myself crazy !
You're doing well, probably need to get out of your head a little. ;)

Back