• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New and Confused

Hello everyone! I am new to the bariatric world I just had my surgery on September 18, 2019. I have a very supportive family at home and I am blessed to have a fantastic surgeon and office staff that are there for you every step of the way. Ive recently started solid foods and have found that it is a struggle to eat half a cup of food only; I’m full physically but mentally keep thinking “you can’t be full yet, you haven’t eaten enough” so I zest snother nite or two and end up in pain. Any suggestions you could share to help retrain my brain that a small amount of food is really enough would be greatly appreciated. I know it’s all mental but surely can’t be the only one facing this issue. I’m also struggling with cooking smaller portions so we don’t end up with tons of leftovers anymore! LOL anyone know of a good recipe website?

Hello everyone! I am new to the bariatric world I just had my surgery on September 18, 2019. I have a very supportive family at home and I am blessed to have a fantastic surgeon and office staff that are there for you every step of the way. Ive recently started solid foods and have found that it is a struggle to eat half a cup of food only; I’m full physically but mentally keep thinking “you can’t be full yet, you haven’t eaten enough” so I zest snother nite or two and end up in pain. Any suggestions you could share to help retrain my brain that a small amount of food is really enough would be greatly appreciated. I know it’s all mental but surely can’t be the only one facing this issue. I’m also struggling with cooking smaller portions so we don’t end up with tons of leftovers anymore! LOL anyone know of a good recipe website?

Welcome to the group and congrats on your surgery! :) Sounds like you have a great support system in place too.

It's hard in the beginning to wrap your head around how little you'll eat. Especially since most of us ate double or triple sized portions before. ;) Have you been using baby size plates & utensils? It does help. I use saucers instead of plates, even 7 months post-op.

I don't cook but I'm sure some of our other great members will chime in with suggestions as far as meal prep and recipes.

Good luck and please keep writing. :)

Welcome to the group! I had my surgery on the 16th of September so I am right there with you :). Another of our group members @Raysofsunshine actually shared a few websites with me to help with my search for recipes. Here are the ones she shared:

recipes.sparkpeople.com
bariatricfoodie.com
bariatriceating.com
trueyoufood.com/bariatric-recipes
froedtert.com/bariatric-surgery/recipes

Also, check out pintrest! I have found quite a few things there as well. Good luck!

Are you in pain after eating half a cup? I can only eat 2-3 oz. I had RNY 08/05/19.
At first I had a hard timing knowing when I was full, it's like it is a delayed reaction. I just decided that it is easier to just measure and weigh my food to be sure I would not overeat. It is so miserable when I overeat.
Sorry, I also do not cook much but luckily for me my husband is out of town a lot so I only have to worry about myself.
Good luck.

Trust the process slow and steady won for me. Congratulations you are not alone and don't give up!!!

Welcome to the group. I cook but I have a problem cooking for one person. My daughters spend a weekend cooking and packing little 1/2 cup serving of all kind of high protein yummy stuff for me. I don’t eat the hold 1/2 package cause I add a little veggie to that. It has really help me to stay focused on my position sides. I also use a little baby plate.

Last edited:
Hello, I look up my recipe at pinterest just look for bariatric lots of stuff comes up... I had my surgery on 08/13/19 so now I eat solid I have more to choose from now... I also use small dishes that makes a different for me and also just wanting for my body to tall me if it is enough. good luck

Welcome to the group and congrats on your surgery! :) Sounds like you have a great support system in place too.

It's hard in the beginning to wrap your head around how little you'll eat. Especially since most of us ate double or triple sized portions before. ;) Have you been using baby size plates & utensils? It does help. I use saucers instead of plates, even 7 months post-op.

I don't cook but I'm sure some of our other great members will chime in with suggestions as far as meal prep and recipes.

Good luck and please keep writing. :)

I’ve bought the 2oz cups off amazon and was going to buy a baby spoon. I heard you have to eat slow. My pros are I like protein shakes, beans, and I drink 64 oz a water a day already. I wonder about sipping water instead of the usual gulps.
Welcome Tarot lady. :)

Yeah, it is hard learning to slow down your eating and drinking. Unfortunately, food will remind you if your bites are too big or if you aren't chewing thoroughly. There is a feeling of it getting stuck and some people actually vomit.

In the beginning, I had to slowly sip my water but by a couple weeks post-op, I was drinking my water at my usual pace. I don't know if that's normal for everyone but it's been my normal. :)

When is your surgery? Good luck with everything, please keep us updated.

Back