• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Member with the Gitters

kpeat11

Good Morning - I am new to this site - my surgery is scheduled for December 3. I'm looking forward to it, but also am very nervous. Husband in the beginning was very supportive (not to say he isn't now) but he is making me more nervous than I was before. Every day he asks "are you sure about this". It is making me crazy. I know he is scared but all the medications I currently take and with family history of heart attacks, etc., my physician and surgeon think it is best. Any thoughts?

Hi K. Well I can assure you that your nervousness is normal! It's the best thing you can do for yourself! After my surgery I went off of diabetic high blood pressure and cholesterol meds! I have lost 30 pounds so far. I had the sleeve done on October 15th. My surgeon said this would add decades to my life. You won't regret your journey!!

Good Morning - I am new to this site - my surgery is scheduled for December 3. I'm looking forward to it, but also am very nervous. Husband in the beginning was very supportive (not to say he isn't now) but he is making me more nervous than I was before. Every day he asks "are you sure about this". It is making me crazy. I know he is scared but all the medications I currently take and with family history of heart attacks, etc., my physician and surgeon think it is best. Any thoughts?
I would say you have someone that loves you! It is natural for him (and you) to be nervous. This is a big deal. But those exact things that make him nervous about you having surgery are the exact things that are same reasons that the surgery can save your life too! I would not change my choice to have surgery... I am healthier than I have ever been in my adult life.

I know he is scared but all the medications I currently take and with family history of heart attacks, etc., my physician and surgeon think it is best. Any thoughts?

Perhaps have him sit down with you and write a list of pros and cons. Show him there are so many more pros to the having the surgery.

Also, surgeon's dont just let everyone have surgery. If they think it's best, there's a reason for it. Any surgery is scary, but the fatality rates of obesity related diseases are much higher than from the surgeries.

Good luck. I say you'll do great, but only you can make the final decision.

Mine is scheduled for December 11th. I'm nervous too, but I feel this is the right decision for me. I'm as excited as nervous and really anxious to get it done.

Back