• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie to the group!

My name is Gina and I've actually been on here for a couple of months just reading threads etc. I just turned 40 on Monday and have struggled with weight since my early 20's. Killing myself in the gym to maintain a healthy weight, diets, meal preps etc which still was not working. So after consulting with a recommended bariatric clinic here I decided to move forward with the gastric sleeve. My surgery date is December 16th. I got approval for the sleeve yesterday which only took 2 days for BCBS to approve. Ever since I started the medical screening and clearance process I've been trying to mentally prepare myself for this journey, but today I feel extremely anxious about it all. Questioning if I'm going to be one of the many success stories or will I fail. Has anyone else experienced these feelings?

Welcome to the group! The anxiety you are feeling now is completely normal! We all have felt anxious, nervous, excited, etc. You will experience them all. Not knowing is the worst part of it. The "what if's" just keep going through your mind and you are afraid you are making a mistake. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this. For me personally, I have a jar on my dresser and put slips of paper in it with all of the things I am looking forward to due to weight loss: hiking up a mountain with my sister in Denver and not having a heart attack during it, fitting into the booth at a restaurant, no longer being the biggest person in every room I walk into, etc. Find what things you are looking forward to and make a list. Go back to them whenever you have a case of anxiety come on and it will help turn your focus. It has become real to you. You now have a date and it is happening. But you have this. You have been working so hard for so long and have realized this tool will help you out in that fight. You are about to get the upper hand with the battle for your weightloss and health. You've got this!

Back