• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One week out

Scoleo

Hey y'all. I'm a week out and I've decided my nervousness is now confidence. That is because of all of the wonderful success stories you have been so gracious to share.
I've been watching alot of videos to get a grasp on some "gems" that the doctor's office doesnt always share. Items like lip balm, baby spoons, and shot cups have been mentioned. So I am appealing to your sense of community in answering this question: What item(s) could you have not done without post-op? Suggestions for any time period post-op are greatly appreciated!

Hey y'all. I'm a week out and I've decided my nervousness is now confidence. That is because of all of the wonderful success stories you have been so gracious to share.
I've been watching alot of videos to get a grasp on some "gems" that the doctor's office doesnt always share. Items like lip balm, baby spoons, and shot cups have been mentioned. So I am appealing to your sense of community in answering this question: What item(s) could you have not done without post-op? Suggestions for any time period post-op are greatly appreciated!
That's awesome that you're feeling confident! The baby spoons are a great tip, it's hard to estimate the size a bite of food should be in the beginning.
  • Having some crushed ice in the freezer for ice chips helps you stay hydrated too. I crunched on that all day long.
  • An insulated water bottle to keep water cold for hours helps too so you can take sips all day long. Knowing how many ounces it holds will help you track your fluid intake. I have a 32 ounce bottle so I know to finish at least 2 per day.
  • Sugar free popsicles, jello and pudding.
If I think of anything else, I'll write again. :)

OK, with the help of other replies, I've now figured out the baby spoons and lip balm, but shot cups?????. Please educate me on this one!! :):)

I bought a ton of those 2 oz. plastic cups with lids and I have never used them.
The only protein powder I buy is the Unflavored. I have decided it is just easier to use the ready made since I only have one a day.
Glad all went well for you.
Do you have a fave brand of ready to drink that can be drank the first couple of weeks post-op?

That's awesome that you're feeling confident! The baby spoons are a great tip, it's hard to estimate the size a bite of food should be in the beginning.
  • Having some crushed ice in the freezer for ice chips helps you stay hydrated too. I crunched on that all day long.
  • An insulated water bottle to keep water cold for hours helps too so you can take sips all day long. Knowing how many ounces it holds will help you track your fluid intake. I have a 32 ounce bottle so I know to finish at least 2 per day.
  • Sugar free popsicles, jello and pudding.
If I think of anything else, I'll write again. :)
The insulated cups are a great idea. I have 2 now. I full them with ice in the morning and it last all day. They have really help with my fluid in take. I also brought some baby plates. Help with portion size

Scoleo, if I look real hard, I just might find my granddaughter's Barbie baby spoon!! I'm still a little mixed up--the baby spoon is to take smaller sized servings at a time??? the lip balm is used for dry lips??? and the 2 oz. plastic cups are for what?? Sorry, I'm having a senior moment and this isn't registering. :)

Do you have a fave brand of ready to drink that can be drank the first couple of weeks post-op?
I like the isopure that's awesome. They also have isopure powder. I get mine from the vitamin store and they will auto deliver and give you 10% off as well. Delivery is free. You choose when you want it delivered. The drinks are 40 problem GM's. I also was told at store to drink only half of bottle and wait 10-15 min to drink other half..less hard on the kidney and liver.

I'm not sure about the ready made drinks, I'm pretty sure they are all dairy based. Most of the unflavored protein powders are too but you can get them plant based you just have to look at them closely or go to a specialty shop to make sure you get the plant based powder.

Hi honygirl
Actually the isopure drinks are isolated whey so there is no diary or whey in them. I can't do dairy. But the flavors I have had are good. Made sure the guy at store knew what I looking for. But good point!

Scoleo, if I look real hard, I just might find my granddaughter's Barbie baby spoon!! I'm still a little mixed up--the baby spoon is to take smaller sized servings at a time??? the lip balm is used for dry lips??? and the 2 oz. plastic cups are for what?? Sorry, I'm having a senior moment and this isn't registering. :)
The cups help measure food if you're pre planning (and cooking) meals.

my favorite was Equate Chocolate from Walmart. now it is Premier Caramel flavored. 30 grams of protein each one. I buy it online by the case to save money. I tried to make a protein shake from a recipe today. Disaster. very frothy and the air bubbles almost killed me. It didn't taste so good either. I'll try another tomorrow. One of my favorite (snacks) is plain Fat free greek yogurt with sugar free black cherry jello! or fat free cottage cheese mixed with snack pack of sugar free vanilla pudding.

my favorite was Equate Chocolate from Walmart. now it is Premier Caramel flavored. 30 grams of protein each one. I buy it online by the case to save money. I tried to make a protein shake from a recipe today. Disaster. very frothy and the air bubbles almost killed me. It didn't taste so good either. I'll try another tomorrow. One of my favorite (snacks) is plain Fat free greek yogurt with sugar free black cherry jello! or fat free cottage cheese mixed with snack pack of sugar free vanilla pudding.
Great snack ideas! How far out from surgery are you? Which surgery did you have? How has everything been going?

Thanks so much!! I'm going to surgery Tuesday so I'm picking brains and stockpiling ideas and suggestions.

Back