• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Portion size recommendations

LisaLisa

I just found this on my bariatric group facebook page. Recall, my group is much more conservative to what I've seen here, but I still wanted to share it.

You cant go by that all the time. I am over a year out and can only eat 3/4 cup of food.
I find that it depends a lot on how heavy/dense the food is. And I'm sure everyone is different as well. I do think I need to be more mindful of how much I put on my little plate. Sometimes I take one bite too much because it is there and then I regret it. Mostly when a heavier protein is involved.

I find that it depends a lot on how heavy/dense the food is. And I'm sure everyone is different as well. I do think I need to be more mindful of how much I put on my little plate. Sometimes I take one bite too much because it is there and then I regret it. Mostly when a heavier protein is involved.
This is an excellent point. And something to keep in mind as all get further along. I tend to love scrambled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. They were my staple meals for the first few months. As I have gotten further along, I found it is too easy to overeat those foods or they leave me hungry again rather quickly. So, I have had to add in more dense proteins, even though many make me uncomfortably full pretty quickly. I thought I had it all figured out and turns out I am still having to adjust/figure out exactly how much and which foods to eat.

This seems pretty accurate to what was told. Almost 4 months post now but at my 3 month appointment I was told 2-3 oz. Most of the time thats all I can eat but like lunch today I had chili and was between 1/2-3/4cup.

I think it is a good idea to have a general portion guide like this, but I think amounts can vary a lot from person to person. I think the quality of food is much more important than the amount, and also learning what your body metabolizes the best. I also think the texture and form of the food makes a big difference. I'm not going to be satisfied eating 4 oz of soup, unless it's quite chunky or something, but even then. That being said, having a guide to gauge oz and trying to model your plates after that is a good idea, I think. They are going to vary a bit, but anything that helps keep our portions from going out of control is a good thing. I should probably pay closer attention to it.

Back