• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein Powder Problems! Please help!

ATitus

Good morning!

Before I ask my question I just wanted to let you know that I'm new here and this actually is my first post. I have not had surgery yet, I think in the next 2 months.

Also I skimmed through and didn't see any topics directly related to my issue so I'm creating a new thread.

I've been drinking the pre-made Premier Protein drinks but after surgery it might be more economical to buy the protein powder and just mix how much I need. I also bought a portable single serving blender because it's so convenient.

My first impression is that the protein powder is unbearably sweet. I can't even get through the same amount I would in the pre-made containers. After a few trials what I was able to experiment by adding less of the Premier powder half (1/3 to 1/2), cut with tablespoon of either PB3 or a little unflavored protein.

I have been using 8 to 9 oz of skim milk. I put it all in the blender and what comes out is no less than the dark ooze from a Lovecraftian story.

The blender whips this chalky sweetness and that is the part I hate, 9 oz of mangable goop is now 14 oz of foamy torture that is only equaled to the disembowlment of William Wallace.

So I hope that you guys can have some suggestions about mixing so it doesn't whip. Someone suggested powdered milk, someone suggested I try almond milk, but rather than buy a bunch of stuff that may or may not work I thought I would ask to see if anybody else had the same issues or possibly a different way of making the cóctel de proteínas.

Good morning!

Before I ask my question I just wanted to let you know that I'm new here and this actually is my first post. I have not had surgery yet, I think in the next 2 months.

Also I skimmed through and didn't see any topics directly related to my issue so I'm creating a new thread.

I've been drinking the pre-made Premier Protein drinks but after surgery it might be more economical to buy the protein powder and just mix how much I need. I also bought a portable single serving blender because it's so convenient.

My first impression is that the protein powder is unbearably sweet. I can't even get through the same amount I would in the pre-made containers. After a few trials what I was able to experiment by adding less of the Premier powder half (1/3 to 1/2), cut with tablespoon of either PB3 or a little unflavored protein.

I have been using 8 to 9 oz of skim milk. I put it all in the blender and what comes out is no less than the dark ooze from a Lovecraftian story.

The blender whips this chalky sweetness and that is the part I hate, 9 oz of mangable goop is now 14 oz of foamy torture that is only equaled to the disembowlment of William Wallace.

So I hope that you guys can have some suggestions about mixing so it doesn't whip. Someone suggested powdered milk, someone suggested I try almond milk, but rather than buy a bunch of stuff that may or may not work I thought I would ask to see if anybody else had the same issues or possibly a different way of making the cóctel de proteínas.
I drink the Premier Protein drinks so I can't really offer advice on protein powders but wanted to reply and welcome you to our group.

Good morning!

I saw this on Pinterest today, might give it a try

Welcome ATitus! Something you also need to keep in mind is what you are able to drink and not drink now, may not be the same after surgery. You're taste buds are going to change and that is something I forgot about. I bought five different flavors of protein powder before surgery and loved them all: Banana Cream, Strawberry, Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, and Peanut Butter Chocolate. Now after surgery, I can only stand two of them. I have even been trying to force myself to drink the ones I can't stand but I realized it makes my mental attitude horrible and I end up getting into a dark hole that it takes a day or so to get out of. So, you can plan and have ideas, but don't go too crazy until after the surgery. Once you try things at that point, then you can decide what you actually do and don't like and go from there.

Good morning!

First, welcome. Second , speak with your nutritionist/Bariatric surgeon and see if they have coupons and recipe ideas. I also didn’t like premier, both the clear and the milk base. But I bought sugar free pudding mixes and pb2 and used the recipes on Pinterest to make my shakes more palatable.

Welcome! I have only been on liquid diet for a couple of days. What I found is the isopure powder at vitamin shop is good so far. Also the same for the drinks. Apple/melon is good also. But as missdarmiage stated keeping in mind of taste buds after surgery. Good luck!

Good morning!

Love your allegories!

Good morning!

I have been using great lakes collagen for the past 4 years . I cant stand most protein powders. I put it in my morning coffee or stir it into soups. A small scoop adds 11 grams of protein to a drink and i cant taste it at all

Back