• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions about week 1 post op food

Hi everyone. Well, I have made it through my 2 week, 5 shake a day, diet. Surgery in 2 days (Monday). I want to make some stuff to have in the fridge to easily grab the first few days postop. Full liquid Diet, so Jello, pudding, shakes....I was thinking of making Jello and pudding, adding in isopure protein powder and dividing into 2 ounce containers. My real question is should I had 2 or 3 scoops of protein powder (75gm) so I get more protein per 2 ounce container? Or is that too much protein powder to add? Any suggestions? What to add to 1 package of pudding or Jello as I mix it up to put in fridge?
Thanks.

Some times the protein isn’t tolerated well in large amounts, but how are you doing with it now? I’d suggest starting small and working up to it, but that’s my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't pre-make any powdered shakes as they tend to separate when they just sit around and may appear unappealing when you get back. Remember that you are going to be sipping very small amounts of water and protein shake and may or may not feel like trying jello at all. It's really hard to predict exactly how you will feel towards the shakes and jello until after your surgery. I know the sight of jello made me want to vomit right after surgery, it just did not seem appealing to me at all, but later in the puree stage I enjoyed a little bit.

Your tastes may change too and you may absolutely hate the protein you have right now. So I usually tell people to have a few options, but don't go overboard making one thing that you end up hating and then don't have an option to turn to. Get a few pre-packaged protein drinks of different brands and flavors so if one doesn't do it for you, another one might.

OR, you can just do what you were going to do and see how it works out. It might be perfect for you. I'd hold back on the unflavored protein in the jello. It doesn't always mix well and tends to settle into the bottom of the jello while it is setting and can become sort of a strange texture and appearance. However, some brands and jello mixing techniques might be better than others.

Good luck!

I did not want to eat at all so food preparation wasn't an issue. I didn't try anything like Jello or Pudding until the soft food stage, I may have tried some Jello and had the same feeling as Ryan, wanted to throw up. Admittedly I wanted to throw up the first 6 months post op but used it to control myself. I won't eat if I feel nauseated. After you do too much anything post op, the vomiting isn't fun and it's scary to think about popping a staple. I bought de-caf coffee and never made it, for some reason I switched to tea post op and have not gone back. I finally threw away the Jello and Pudding in my fridge after the soft stage; couldn't face any of it. For viable pantry foods I packed up a big bag and took it along with a few bags of pantry staples from the grocery to the local food bank. I felt good about doing that and at that time they had major long lines for food. Cleaned out my pantry too. If you are into making broth, that will freeze and come in handy. Those cubes on Amazon, can't recall the name are good for 1 cup portions frozen. I tried various store-bought broths and I didn't really care for them.
I was a protein drink failure so I don't have advice there, but you have a wealth of knowledgeable resources in this group.
Biggest thing is you aren't going to be hungry, consider using this time to get a head start before the stalls happen.
GOOD LUCK and get well soon! You are getting ready to have a whole new you. It was harder than I thought, but I am beginning to forget the misery (guess it's like childbirth, they say you forget, dunno dog mom only)

Back