• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recipe and food suggestions on pre- operative diet.

First, has your doc been specific about what you can eat? If so, you should follow that plan.

I didn't have a pre-op diet 14 years ago. My surgeon examined me, decided I was 100 pounds overweight, included that in the form letter he was required to submit to Medicaid and Medicare, and told me to try to lose some weight before surgery.

If you want suggestions, you should clear all of them with your surgeon and your dietician.

In general, you should weigh and measure every portion of food and record it, along with dates and times, in a journal. You should also track your movement. Tracking helps you explode the denial balloon most of us have about how much we eat. Tracking usually results in weight loss without dieting.

I also tracked amounts of protein, shooting for 50 to 70 grams a day. This tracking was most helpful. If you commit to meet your protein goal, you'll eat fewer carbs because you'll have less hunger.

But postoperatively, I created a lot of smoothies, using a Magic Milk base into which I blended a scoop of Trader Joe's protein powder, a teaspoon of flax seed (great for easing bowel movements), a tablespoon of wheat germ, and a scoop of PB8. You practically meet your protein goals with one smoothie.

Please do internet searches for more tips on bariatric food plans. And search here for the Magic Milk recipe

If you scroll down to the bottom of our posts, you'll find more information on eating and shopping. There weren't many resources when I had my surgery, but now, they're all over the Internet.

However, if all you did was read this group, that would be more than enough to support you in creating eating plans. There are a dozen years of archived posts, a gold mine for anyone before or after surgery.

Back