• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Regular protien

Just get some protein isolate at like Costco, or Walmart. Dietitian said it doesn’t even have to be isolate. I usually have just one scoop of powder, one cup of milk. With the rest. It’s basically meal replacement. Lol I live on that stuff, cheese sticks, and cans of no bean chilli.

My protein shake today with one scoop, was only 305 calories.

Attachments

• F9B650EA-67F7-4BCE-A379-FDB9F12551EF.png
    F9B650EA-67F7-4BCE-A379-FDB9F12551EF.png
    315.7 KB · Views: 409
My protein powder has only 16g of protein & is 100 calories for 2 scoops. it has 5g of carbohydrate and 4g of sugar. It has no fiber. What brand are you using?

I don't do protein shakes but I add it to recipes for power bars and sometimes cereal. We have divided feelings here about protein shakes, and many people use many brands. I think sometimes these shakes are in a can, like Ensure. But I've always made mine in the blender with juice or milk, fruit & ice, for a real shake. Of course, I couldn't finish it--too much shake for my tummy.

I really came to protein shakes by way of smoothies, which I used to make pretty often before surgery.

Now I know you crunched the numbers here, but there's a lot of information about the pros & cons of protein shakes & hidden calories on the Internet. I don't know where they could hide them, but there may be a chemical reaction in your body. As I recall, these were first developed for use by body builders who wanted to put on weight they could turn into muscle. For weight loss, they remain controversial. But many of our members swear by them.

Still, for people struggling to get enough protein, they should do the trick.

I don't like them so I don't make them. And I like feeling like I actually ate something, so I'd rather have a meal than a replacement.

Anyway, what brand?

I did a random search for best whey protein powder, -men, -building. if you don't exclude the bodybuilder key words, nothing shows up for women at all.

Won’t let me upload pics. One is call “On” whey isolate. From Costco. Chocolate. The other is equate whey isolate, vanilla from Walmart. Just if you use it, make sure you buy the ones with low sugar, and carbs. Some are higher than others.

With 2 scoops of protein powder, it’s 72 grams of protein. Each scoop I use is 24 grams of protein. So milk, 5 blespoins low-fat cottage Che’s, no fat plain Greek ygrt, =72 grams of protein
d

I like the attachment with calorie and nutrient count, bbqking. Can you tell me where to find that? Thanks!

Soy or 0% milk, 5 tbs low fat cottage cheese, 5 tbs 0% Greek yogurt, 1-2 scoops of protien powder. Blend drink. Sometimes I throw in some fruit...blueberry, strawberry’s, banana

It wont work for the lactose intolerant ppl. I know because i am since surgery lactose intolerant. I have tried so many things and if it has that much lactase in it i will be in pain throwing up like crazy.

I would like to find unflavored protein powder. Where does everyone get theirs? I am on the liquid diet for the two weeks before surgery. It's getting hard to find stuff to eat. What did you eat on your liquid diet? Thanks!

I would like to find unflavored protein powder. Where does everyone get theirs? I am on the liquid diet for the two weeks before surgery. It's getting hard to find stuff to eat. What did you eat on your liquid diet? Thanks!
I purchased mine on Amazon. I would check with your dr about options of what they will allow while on the liquid diet. It seems like everyone's pre-op diet is different. Mine was 4 protein shakes and one meal that was less than 300 calories, less than 20 carbs, and contained 3 oz of protein. But others have mentioned they could only have liquids or simply clear liquids. I was able to eat sugar free jello and popsicles while others were told they could eat unlimited celery. Every program is different.

I purchased mine on Amazon. I would check with your dr about options of what they will allow while on the liquid diet. It seems like everyone's pre-op diet is different. Mine was 4 protein shakes and one meal that was less than 300 calories, less than 20 carbs, and contained 3 oz of protein. But others have mentioned they could only have liquids or simply clear liquids. I was able to eat sugar free jello and popsicles while others were told they could eat unlimited celery. Every program is different.
I have to agree is Miss. everyone plan is different. I was clear liquids only. For the first week. The blended soups, 3 protein drinks day. So it depends on your plan.

Back