• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Revision scheduled and now maybe not?

Pinky

Hi! I just got approval to have a revision for the VBG I had done 20 years ago. There seems to be complications with it now, having a twist in my stomach. I was hoping for a gastric sleeve procedure but was told that was not an option. They have approved to do the bypass (RNY?).

This really scares me! Like really. The lack of nutritional absorption and “dumping” freaks me out. I’m afraid of the side effects and quality of life afterwards. ‍♀️ I’m reconsidering.
I’d love to hear your experience, good or bad. What was the best part? What is the hardest part? Long term. Thanks

I just had the RNY 8 weeks. I have not had any issues and not a single case of dumping. I even had a small piece of cake and no dumping.
I think every body reacts differently to the procedure and there is no real way to know if you will dump.
I am actually a little disappointed that I don't have it. That would most likely keep me from eating sweets, which is my downfall.
I do not regret doing RNY at all.

Good luck on making a decision.

Unfortunately, I am not a good source for long term since I just had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago. But I am right there with Mimi. I have not had any dumping so far. I can say that going into this, the dumping syndrome really scared me. But I realized it scared me because I was so hesitant to fully let go of the types of food I love most - things w/sugar! It took several months for the scared feeling to go away. It didn't really happen until I convinced myself that if I was in, I was all in I had to give up the foods that got me here in the first place. So knowing what causes the dumping syndrome, I can now avoid those items. But like Mimi and some other veterans that I have read posts from, eventually your body may allow some of those things in moderation. Good luck with your decision!

Hi! I just got approval to have a revision for the VBG I had done 20 years ago. There seems to be complications with it now, having a twist in my stomach. I was hoping for a gastric sleeve procedure but was told that was not an option. They have approved to do the bypass (RNY?).

This really scares me! Like really. The lack of nutritional absorption and “dumping” freaks me out. I’m afraid of the side effects and quality of life afterwards. ‍♀ I’m reconsidering.
I’d love to hear your experience, good or bad. What was the best part? What is the hardest part? Long term. Thanks
Hi Pinky, glad you found our group!

I'm 7 months out from RNY tomorrow. Like the other ladies here, I seem to be a best-case-scenario & have not experienced any dumping. The last couple months, I've sampled many things I've craved without issue.

Some of my tastes have changed. For example, I no longer care for regular ice cream or candy. Have tried both and my body tolerated them fine, they just taste overly sweet and heavy to me now. That could either be from the hormone changes from the surgery, or staying away from them for so long before trying them again. It's a strange phenomenon.

As Mimi said, every body reacts differently to surgery so unfortunately, if you decide to pursue surgery, you'll have to roll the dice. I can say that it was the best decision I ever made and have no regrets. I miss my diet soda but that's such a small sacrifice for getting my life back.

Good luck making your decision! Feel free to ask any specific questions, everyone is really open and honest here.

Back