• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Rough Week

This has been a rough week. I am a week in on the pre-op diet with one week left. Honestly I am doing fine with the diet itself. It is hard watching my family eat things that I love and just can't have. I thought being at work would make the days easier, but my coworkers are constantly having food delivered and bring in cupcakes/donuts/cookies to share. To top it off, trying to find pureed food recipes (because I wasn't ready for this part of the diet to start while I am in the hospital!) for when I get home is giving me crazy cravings! I do keep reminding myself of why I am doing this and in my mind and heart I know them verbatim. But my stomach isn't listening, lol. Add in to all that that I started taking iron last week because mine is low, I am now having headaches and a general crappy overall feeling that I wasn't expecting. But it will be okay. I just have to stick it out. It gets worse before it gets better, but my stomach just doesn't want to listen right now.

This has been a rough week. I am a week in on the pre-op diet with one week left. Honestly I am doing fine with the diet itself. It is hard watching my family eat things that I love and just can't have. I thought being at work would make the days easier, but my coworkers are constantly having food delivered and bring in cupcakes/donuts/cookies to share. To top it off, trying to find pureed food recipes (because I wasn't ready for this part of the diet to start while I am in the hospital!) for when I get home is giving me crazy cravings! I do keep reminding myself of why I am doing this and in my mind and heart I know them verbatim. But my stomach isn't listening, lol. Add in to all that that I started taking iron last week because mine is low, I am now having headaches and a general crappy overall feeling that I wasn't expecting. But it will be okay. I just have to stick it out. It gets worse before it gets better, but my stomach just doesn't want to listen right now.

Hi Miss - You've got this! Sorry the iron is making you feel crummy on top of it. I forget, when is your date again?

I can totally relate to the coworker thing!! I share an office with a very thin tall woman who has never had a weight issue in her life. She keeps cookies, chips, all kinds of things in our office. I have asked her to remove them but she won't. She makes Mac and cheese every day for lunch.... I have started leaving the office when she has her food out and I walk around the building till I think she is done. Your situation is worse and I will be sending you thoughts of encouragement and support! Keep focused on your goal! These temptations are temporary and you are more important than them!

I wanted yo share with you some sites that I fount that might be helpful also there are some bariatric cookbooks on amazon I have ordered one and will receive it on wed and it includes all stages for after surgery(I will let you know how that is) and someone suggested the local library but I had not luck there finding cookbooks pertaining to bariatric cooking, but these sites do, you can check them out if you like and I hope they are helpful I am stocking up with tools trying to get ready for my upcoming surgery on the 16th. I just found out that the hospital that I am having surgery at offer once a month free bariatric cooking classes so you could always check and see if your facility offers something like that as well

recipes.sparkpeople.com
bariatricfoodie.com
bariatriceating.com
trueyoufood.com/bariatric-recipes
froedtert.com/bariatric-surgery/recipes

It is definitely tough, but you can get through this! I had the same issues, and they told me to bump up the protein to help curb hunger, which helps, but all I wanted to do was chew something!!! I was told I can chew sugar free gum which helped my cravings, don’t know if your program lets you but might help. Just remember you are almost there!!!! 6 more days, exciting!!! Keep at it and good luck!

Hi
my surgery date is Oct 3 and I also started my preop liquid protein . I also had to start a iron supplement and I feel crappy. I was wondering what happens if I maybe have some chicken soup because I’m so weak. Any thoughts

Hi

my surgery date is Oct 3 and I also started my preop liquid protein . I also had to start a iron supplement and I feel crappy. I was wondering what happens if I maybe have some chicken soup because I’m so weak. Any thoughts
Congrats on your surgery date, so close!!! :) I would call your doctor and ask. If I recall correctly, one of our members called hers because she was hungry between and was told she could supplement with veggies like cucumbers and celery. So your doctor may be willing to allow you some kind of solid foods. Good luck, the 3rd will be here before you know it! :)

I was just reading posts and noticed that both MissDarmitage & Rayof Sunshine had their surgeries one week ago today. How did it go? How many days did you each spend in the hospital. Hope you both are starting to feel good to be home and good luck in the weeks ahead.

I was just reading posts and noticed that both MissDarmitage & Rayof Sunshine had their surgeries one week ago today. How did it go? How many days did you each spend in the hospital. Hope you both are starting to feel good to be home and good luck in the weeks ahead.
My surgery went great! I was in the hospital for a little over 48 hours. My dr was concerned about passing gas before being released. I went home on pureed foods and have been tolerating it well. I'm hitting my both my fluid and protein goals and getting around 5 miles a day in walking. It is going so smoothly that I have been wondering if the dr actually did anything when she was in there (the fact that I haven't been hungry is a dead give away that she did, but still...). It is all too surreal. I've had a couple of bad mental days. Even though it is going well, it is still a new lifestyle and my mind is freaking out sometimes, but I am pulling through day by day. Thanks for checking in!

I am so happy to read of your successful surgery. It sounds like you are well on the way. I imagine that this new lifestyle will play tricks on your mind. I better get prepared because my mind is going to think that an alien took over my body. :) Walking miles is fantastic!!! Keep up the good work and please keep checking in---you made my day! PS From what I've read & heard the gas is sometime more painful than the surgery.

Back