• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Severe stomach pain

I am 15 years post surgery. Had full bypass.
I am reaching out at the recommendation of my doctor.
I have had two recent incidences of severe stomach pain that lasts for a 5-6 hours, followed by 3 days of liquid stool.
The second incident was accompanied by my being awakened from my sleep in a sweat, and feeling like I was going to go unconscious. Dr ordered an endoscopy to get a look inside.

Question: Any thoughts?

I am 15 years post surgery. Had full bypass.
I am reaching out at the recommendation of my doctor.
I have had two recent incidences of severe stomach pain that lasts for a 5-6 hours, followed by 3 days of liquid stool.
The second incident was accompanied by my being awakened from my sleep in a sweat, and feeling like I was going to go unconscious. Dr ordered an endoscopy to get a look inside.

Question: Any thoughts?

Hi Victoria and welcome. You're 15 years out? I'm sure we can all learn a lot from you. As far as your pain, did you have your gallbladder removed in your surgery? If not, it sounds like the attacks I used to have before I had mine removed. I hope you're able to get some answers soon.!

Welcome, Victoria. It sounds like your doctor is taking the best first step with endoscopy. I came here on March 5 because I was having stomach pain & nausea. But no diarrhea. The pain was excrutiating, though. I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago & the doc found a staple & a loose stitch. No pain since. But before that, my own doc diagnosed diverticulitis. That's not in the right part of the abdomen to fit your symptoms, but you asked for thoughts. My thought is, There are many things that can go wrong with your stomach. They may be completely unrelated to your surgery 15 years ago. My problems probably were, and I'm 12 years out. The bad thing is that I allowed myself to be in pain & nausea for four years before I finally took the step to endoscopy. I wish you better luck!

Welcome, Victoria. It sounds like your doctor is taking the best first step with endoscopy. I came here on March 5 because I was having stomach pain & nausea. But no diarrhea. The pain was excrutiating, though. I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago & the doc found a staple & a loose stitch. No pain since. But before that, my own doc diagnosed diverticulitis. That's not in the right part of the abdomen to fit your symptoms, but you asked for thoughts. My thought is, There are many things that can go wrong with your stomach. They may be completely unrelated to your surgery 15 years ago. My problems probably were, and I'm 12 years out. The bad thing is that I allowed myself to be in pain & nausea for four years before I finally took the step to endoscopy. I wish you better luck!
DianeSeattle, I keep reading over the string of comments and can’t find anywhere that indicates which side her pain was. I just came home from the hospital and am recovering from an acute bout of diverticulitis and liver failure due to the former. I was sleeved nine months ago. I knew I had diverticulosis prior to surgery, but have never had a flair up until last week. My pain was in the center of my abdomen for a number of days before going to the ER. There was a very long wait there. During that excruciating time, the pain radiated to the top of my groin, top of my thigh, and also a bit to my right side! Then it finally settled squarely on the left. So, it really just depends on each situation.

On another note, as this is my first day home and even though I met with a nutritionist before discharge, I am very nervous about eating the right thing. Low fiber (no more than 8 grams per day (2 grams per meal preferred), high protein, cooked veggies, but not stringy ones. Whatever I eat, it has to be chewed (like always) into purée. Does anyone have some simple food suggestions, especially for breakfast. I can’t stand the thought of eggs right now. Ideas?

DianeSeattle, I keep reading over the string of comments and can’t find anywhere that indicates which side her pain was. I just came home from the hospital and am recovering from an acute bout of diverticulitis and liver failure due to the former. I was sleeved nine months ago. I knew I had diverticulosis prior to surgery, but have never had a flair up until last week. My pain was in the center of my abdomen for a number of days before going to the ER. There was a very long wait there. During that excruciating time, the pain radiated to the top of my groin, top of my thigh, and also a bit to my right side! Then it finally settled squarely on the left. So, it really just depends on each situation.

On another note, as this is my first day home and even though I met with a nutritionist before discharge, I am very nervous about eating the right thing. Low fiber (no more than 8 grams per day (2 grams per meal preferred), high protein, cooked veggies, but not stringy ones. Whatever I eat, it has to be chewed (like always) into purée. Does anyone have some simple food suggestions, especially for breakfast. I can’t stand the thought of eggs right now. Ideas?
I was in hospital due to diverticulitis the week before last, 1st ever flare up and almost 5 months post RNY. I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to be eating right now, and I’m thinking of going to see a dietitian to help me out. I don’t need to lose more weight, I just need to gain strength. I’ve been drinking a lot of soups, and milky decaf coffee and eating Greek yogurt. But I never know what to eat and don’t have much appetite. Hoping that picks up after I’ve finished the antibiotics.

I was in hospital due to diverticulitis the week before last, 1st ever flare up and almost 5 months post RNY. I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to be eating right now, and I’m thinking of going to see a dietitian to help me out. I don’t need to lose more weight, I just need to gain strength. I’ve been drinking a lot of soups, and milky decaf coffee and eating Greek yogurt. But I never know what to eat and don’t have much appetite. Hoping that picks up after I’ve finished the antibiotics.
I’m so glad I found this site, thank you for writing back! It is scary, isn’t it? Do you feel sore, still, in the gut, like somebody used it as a punching bag? If that feeling was there and went away, how long was it before it went away? I have 9 days left of pill-form antibiotics (it was IV in the hospital). Even just drinking water makes me feel a little sore.

I’m so glad I found this site, thank you for writing back! It is scary, isn’t it? Do you feel sore, still, in the gut, like somebody used it as a punching bag? If that feeling was there and went away, how long was it before it went away? I have 9 days left of pill-form antibiotics (it was IV in the hospital). Even just drinking water makes me feel a little sore.
I had cream of wheat in hospital, but I am worried about having it at home, since it is something like 24 carbs. Do you have thoughts on that? I’m going to reach out to my bariatric group’s dietician.

I really hope you get an appetite back. I wish I had ideas on what you can eat, you definitely need your strength back. I think a dietitian is a good idea. Damn, good luck girlie!

I had cream of wheat in hospital, but I am worried about having it at home, since it is something like 24 carbs. Do you have thoughts on that? I’m going to reach out to my bariatric group’s dietician.
I'm sorry you've had such a terrible episode! I really hope you feel better soon. What were some of the things the hospital nutritionist told you that you could eat? I understand being weary of carbs (like in the cream of wheat) but it sounds like you need to focus on healing for the next few days. I agree that you should reach out to your bariatric group's dietician. It sounds like this is a somewhat common problem and hopefully he/she can advise you. Please keep us posted so that anyone else going through this can learn from you. :)

I was on IV antibiotics for 6 days in the hospital and discharged with the tablet form, just a few more days to go, and the pain is almost gone. I had a constant pain down the left hand side and cramping right down into the pelvic region and I also had some rectal bleeding (sorry if that’s TMI!)

Hopefully it’s on it’s way out and I won’t have to suffer that again, my only concern now is what to eat, it’s getting more and more complicated!
i would have thought cream of wheat would be okay if you can tolerate it, as long as it doesn’t cause dumping, but I think I’m going to have to see a dietitian. The hospital told me to resume normal diet!

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon xx

Thank you so much for your sharing with me and support! I wish you a healthy continued recovery and path to a healthy you. The dietician said low fiber, no more than 2 grams per meal/snack and no more than 7 grams per day. Cooked veggies, or raw veggies, but no stringy veggies such celery or string beans. I questioned raw veggies, like baby carrots, but he said that as ling as whichever veggies I ate, even raw, just make sure I pulverize in my chewing. I will post again after I hear from nutritionist.

Back