• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Start over?

goodmanje

I had the gastric sleeve surgery back in 2020. I was 250lbs before the surgery, got down to 237lbs during the six week post op period. Then went right back up to 250lbs and have been there ever since. I tried to do everything I was told concerning how and what I ate but never saw any results. Eventually I got frustrated, quit logging my food, and stopped going in for my appointments with the surgeon. I’d like to think I didn’t have 2/3 of my stomach removed for nothing but right now that seems to be the case. How can I try again? I never really feel that full when I eat so I don’t know if the surgery is really providing a benefit that I can take advantage of to help me lose weight. The only thing I can think of is go to a nutritionist and get help changing the way I eat again. Unfortunately I tried to lose weight like that many times before I had the surgery and never was successful… any advise?

Yes, you should see a nutritionist. WLS is only a tool. You have to follow the food plan. You can't fake the tracking or the measuring out of portions. Your "quesstimate" of portion size will almost always be wrong.

I had the bypass in 2020. I still measure and track my intake a few days a week. I will never be able to not focus on maintaining my weight. I thought I'd be able to eat like a "normal" person. But quess what? Normal people watch their weight and pay attention to what they eat. At least after their 20s. I had no idea lol

I'm sorry you were not as successful as you had hoped immediately. But the hard truth is you have to put in the work. You have to honestly access yourself and your behaviors. Did you really follow the post op eating plan? Or did you just (as you stated) *try to? The words " I tried" do not imply success. (Insert Yoda quote) Did you measure your portions out? Only eat approved foods? And only at your designated meal times?

You have to commit to yourself and make the necessary changes. Self care isn't just about relaxation and "treat yo'self". True self care requires work.

weight loss surgery is not an easy path to travel it takes work, constant vigilance and determination. it takes discipline and perseverance. It takes forgiveness for when you push for that comfort food you sought in the past and over indulge. As humans, others can be unkind to you, but we are more unkind to ourselves than anyone else is. I expect more of myself than anyone else has ever asked. Given the right motivation you will make better choices for yourself.

I thought I did a good job of following the instructions but apparently I was doing something wrong. I guess that’s why I need to go see the nutritionist again and make sure I’m doing it right this time. My biggest frustration out of all this is that it’s just as difficult to lose weight with the surgery as it is without the surgery. The “tool” doesn’t help at all. I knew it was going to require work but I thought the surgery would make it easier. But anyway, that’s in the past…. I’ve been walking every morning for the past 5 months and lifting weights once or twice a week. So if I can get the nutrition side figured out maybe I’ll start losing. Thanks for the advise!

You may want to go back or the surgical team and ask about a revision to the gastric bypass. My surgery helped me immensely. It reset my hormones, so I can actually notice if I'm hungry and tell when I'm full BEFORE I'm stuffed. And the quick weight loss in the beginning was a great motivator to keep going.

I'm not bashing the sleeve but there is a reason that the bypass is considered the gold standard. Just another thought. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back