• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery is three weeks away!

Rglover

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

My surgery (gastric sleeve) is scheduled for November 26th, 2019. Does anyone have any advice pertaining to exercising and getting physically prepared for surgery aside from the pre surgery diet? Also, can anyone share their experience during the day of surgery and what to expect prior to being discharged from the hospital to return home.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Ryan

Hello everyone,

Hope all is well.

My surgery (gastric sleeve) is scheduled for November 26th, 2019. Does anyone have any advice pertaining to exercising and getting physically prepared for surgery aside from the pre surgery diet? Also, can anyone share their experience during the day of surgery and what to expect prior to being discharged from the hospital to return home.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

-Ryan

Hi Ryan and welcome to the group! Congrats on the surgery date :) It is a fun/exciting/terrifying time, lol. This forum will provide you with a lot of information that can help calm all the fears and anxieties you are probably experiencing now or going to experience on your journey. Definitely read through as many posts as you can as they contain a wealth of information that was so useful to me as I started my journey.

As far as physically preparing for surgery, as long as you are trying to walk daily, you should be good. The biggest thing after surgery is to get up and walking as much as you can. Even if it is only a couple minutes at a time or miles at a time, do what you can. Of course after surgery you are going to be lacking energy since you will not be consuming hardly any calories. For my program, walking was all that was allowed for the first month after surgery.

@Brenda2010 has a great resource in her profile about her surgery. I have included the link here: My Surgery Day Experience

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey :)

Back