• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This is going to easy or am I missing something?

It's been 11 days since my surgery. The first week I was on the clear fluid diet and was doing good. I'm on second week and am eating pretty good with no issues. I've been able to eat a scrambled egg and even yesterday I ate half of a chicken enchilada (mostly the chicken portion). Is this ok? Am I moving to fast? Is this going to mess up my stomach? Should I stay on the fluid diet even though I've been doing good? I don't want to mess anything up.

It's been 11 days since my surgery. The first week I was on the clear fluid diet and was doing good. I'm on second week and am eating pretty good with no issues. I've been able to eat a scrambled egg and even yesterday I ate half of a chicken enchilada (mostly the chicken portion). Is this ok? Am I moving to fast? Is this going to mess up my stomach? Should I stay on the fluid diet even though I've been doing good? I don't want to mess anything up.
Hi Cory - did your doctor/nutritionist say that you could introduce chicken? If yes, and you no issues with it, kudos! :) No need to worry.

Hi Cory - did your doctor/nutritionist say that you could introduce chicken? If yes, and you no issues with it, kudos! :) No need to worry.
I haven't checked in with either of them yet. I have a phone appointment this Wednesday so I will be talking to my doctor. I guess I was expecting to not get as good as an appetite back so soon. I don't want to rush it either. Like today, I had about a cup of cottage cheese mixed with strawberries, for lunch, a protein shake and right now I'm having a Campbell's Cauliflower & Roasted Potato sipping soup. I've learned in the last week that if I eat slowly and take breaks between bites, I'm able to finish my food. Maybe that's helping me out? Just don't want to make any mistakes. :oops:

I haven't checked in with either of them yet. I have a phone appointment this Wednesday so I will be talking to my doctor. I guess I was expecting to not get as good as an appetite back so soon. I don't want to rush it either. Like today, I had about a cup of cottage cheese mixed with strawberries, for lunch, a protein shake and right now I'm having a Campbell's Cauliflower & Roasted Potato sipping soup. I've learned in the last week that if I eat slowly and take breaks between bites, I'm able to finish my food. Maybe that's helping me out? Just don't want to make any mistakes. :oops:
Taking it slow is always best since you're still healing. That said, I think your body would certainly tell you if you had something you shouldn't. ;)

Brenda is giving you the answers I would advise. Just please be certain everything you're "eating" is finely chopped and chewed to puree fashion. You don't want your stomach to do to much work in it's early stage. My doc told me under no circumstance to advance from liquids until I was seen by him at my 2 week f/u visit. At that visit, I was advanced to puree (2 weeks). The only type of chicken I had was very mushed up/puree type.... almost like a spread.

Always err on the side of caution. If you are eating anything solid, small bites, chewed to a mush. You have had major surgery that takes a minimum of 5 to 6 weeks to heal. No matter what you read here, the doctor is the only person who can direct you during your post op stage.

Yes my first 2 weeks have been blended soups, jello, broth. He started me on soft yesterday. I can only have a half a cup per meal. I think week 3 you start the soft foods. They still need to be puréed like meats and Vegs
As I’m reading some the port all doctors follow the same rule.
Does anyone else have a bad taste in their mouth since surgery?

I feel the same way. I’m in phase 2 purée foods but nutritionist told me if I can tolerate tuna or ground meat I can have it but to chew it really well. I’ve had no issues except like you I don’t want to mess up but I don’t feel full but just stop at 2 or 3 ounces. No nausea, nothing.

True if you go over you will throw up. I even tried bread and it stayed down and felt more satisfied. And still losing weight. I thought I wasn't but I'm losing inches. Some of my clothes that were tight like blouses. I'm able to wear. Pants I'm not even going to try just yet because I'm still very sore. I can't bend over or lift anything. I still don't feel comfortable in anything but loose pants or shorts. Anything rubbing goes in the back of the closet for maybe one day but not today. Just keep doing what helps you. Your body will stop you for sure. Get out of your head get your mind on other things. I found I had a lot in my closet I needed to clean out.

Back