• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wedding rings on surgery day

Anne23

Hi friends, I am nearing the call for my surgery date. I just had a thought...the last time I had surgery was quite a while ago and I remember being told no jewelry which makes sense and is fine but...my wedding rings are stuck on my chubby little finger!!!! I can’t be the only bypass patient with this issue...please don’t tell me they cut it off! Eeekkkk!!!!

I had a gold anklet from my S.O. that I vowed I would never take off. I wrapped it with sterile gauze and told the pre-op nurses it must NOT be removed and offered to let them wrap it or put a sterile dressing on it. They said it was fine. When I woke up it was gone. I found it in the plastic bag my clothes were in.

I don't think they would cut off or even remove your ring, but make sure you tell anyone involved what your wishes are. I'd even write instructions on tape and wrap my hand in it. I'd make a point of telling the hospital ombudsman as well, and make sure it was in writing, in my chart.

Once burned, twice shy.

I had a gold anklet from my S.O. that I vowed I would never take off. I wrapped it with sterile gauze and told the pre-op nurses it must NOT be removed and offered to let them wrap it or put a sterile dressing on it. They said it was fine. When I woke up it was gone. I found it in the plastic bag my clothes were in.

I don't think they would cut off or even remove your ring, but make sure you tell anyone involved what your wishes are. I'd even write instructions on tape and wrap my hand in it. I'd make a point of telling the hospital ombudsman as well, and make sure it was in writing, in my chart.

Once burned, twice shy.
No kidding! Thanks for the tip, that’s crazy!

You can't have any jewelry period and it doesn't even matter if its metal or not. I have glass/ plastic ear gages and I had to remove them.

Try lots of soap or oil

I once broke the middle finger on my left hand and had the presence of mind to take off my ring quickly before my hand started to swell!

Anyway, I saw a video once by an EMT that addressed that issue- they have to remove jewelry from people who suffer injuries that makes their hands swell. They basically compress the finger with an elastic cord and work the ring off. I found a site that shows a similar technique- I hope it helps!

Last edited:
Back