• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss

Toto

Help! I am a little over 3 weeks out since surgery, but I have only loss 15 pounds! Is that normal? I am getting concerned. I feel like my clothes fit me better but is this normal? Am I doing something wrong??

Help! I am a little over 3 weeks out since surgery, but I have only loss 15 pounds! Is that normal? I am getting concerned. I feel like my clothes fit me better but is this normal? Am I doing something wrong??
Hi Toto - First, congratulations on 15 lbs! That's an average of 5 a week!!! Great job. :)

Everyone looses at their own pace. Your body has just gone through some hard-core trauma. It is probably holding on to everything it needs in order to keep healing. A lot of us have slow-downs or stalls, despite doing everything we should be. It's frustrating but just because the scale isn't showing huge numbers, doesn't mean you aren't loosing. You mention that your clothes fit better, that's a huge indication that things are happening.

Have you taken measurements yet? Doing that each month may help you see that things are happening, despite what the scale says.

Another tip is to only get on the scale once a week (at the same time of day). Weight can drastically yo-yo day from day to day, causing unnecessary anxiety. I find that I can usually see a solid loss when I only bring out the scale on Friday mornings. And yes, I put it on a closet shelf the rest of the time so that I'm not tempted to get on. ;)

But all this said, I must reiterate that 5 lbs a week isn't a slow-down or stall in my book. Keep up the great work!!!

I kind of had the same question. I'm almost a month post op and the day I came home from the hospital I was down 25 pounds. At the end of the first week I'd lost another 10. Now I seem to be at a stand still. Since then, nothing, not one pound. I've been increasing my activity, nothing major, just walking and house work, but sometimes over doing it and am just wiped out. I'm hardly eating, why am I not losing more?

I kind of had the same question. I'm almost a month post op and the day I came home from the hospital I was down 25 pounds. At the end of the first week I'd lost another 10. Now I seem to be at a stand still. Since then, nothing, not one pound. I've been increasing my activity, nothing major, just walking and house work, but sometimes over doing it and am just wiped out. I'm hardly eating, why am I not losing more?

Have you taken measurements yet? Your body is likely shifting, even if the scale isn't showing it. And the scale will start up again. I know it's frustrating waiting but as long as you're sticking with your program, you have science on your side. Congratulations on your loss so far! :)

I'm not sure what type of surgery you had, but keep in mind that sleeve patients are more slow and steady weight loss than bypass patients who tend to have more of a stop/start weight loss. Many...many...many times during my journey the scale didn't move but I was still losing inches and the weight was still coming off, your body needs it's adjustment time to keep up with you and your new eating habits, this will continue as you add exercise and it's normal! Trust that your tool works! I completely agree with everyone that losing 5lbs or more a week is still pretty good progress, so keep up with what your doing! Don't let the scale rule your life ;)

Back