• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What are the best

I need a multi vitamins that I don't have to take 10 of them a day any good ones out there that covers everything

That's actually a touch question lol. Every program seems to have different requirements for the vitamins. If you are looking for one muli-vitamin to take the place of the iron/calcium/vitamin d/etc.... That will not exist. Most multivitamins will not have both iron and calcium in them and if they do, it actually doesn't work. Calcium and Iron cannot be taken within 2 hours of each other because the blood will not absorb them both at the same time. Also you can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at once so depending on what your dr requires, you may need to take that multiple times a day. I have seen people post that they only need to take one multi-vitamin a day while others like me have to do the mulit, 3 calciums, 2 iron, B1, B12, and vitamin D. Like I said, it all depends on your dr and what they require. You can always do a search in the forums for vitamins to find out peoples recommendations for their vitamin brands :)

I just started taking Ultra Solo with Iron from Bariatric Advantage. It contains the multi vite, B12, B50 complex and some Biotin.
It is convenient to have them all in one pill but the smell is horrible and I have to take it with a bit of food otherwise I will belch it.
On top of that I take Citracal 3x a day and two pills at a time(6 total pills). I just ordered the Bariatric calcium chews and they are ok, I got the fruit flavored. I took me a few days to get used to them. I am taking that once a day in place of one of the Citracal.
I am still looking to other brands to see if I can replace the multi vite with something that hopefully might taste a little better.

Every plan is different. I am able to do patches - LOVE them, until I developed an allergic reaction to the glue (that is just my sensitive skin tho). I take centrum chewables now. I was trying some regular caplets, and they just sit too heavy for my liking. I know a lot of people that do just take regular ones though.

I just started taking Ultra Solo with Iron from Bariatric Advantage. It contains the multi vite, B12, B50 complex and some Biotin.
It is convenient to have them all in one pill but the smell is horrible and I have to take it with a bit of food otherwise I will belch it.
On top of that I take Citracal 3x a day and two pills at a time(6 total pills). I just ordered the Bariatric calcium chews and they are ok, I got the fruit flavored. I took me a few days to get used to them. I am taking that once a day in place of one of the Citracal.

This is another subject that is a really hot topic here. The bottom line will always be found in your metabolic panels and other blood work that your doctor or doctors do after surgery. And I don't mean right after surgery. I mean annually, or more often, after surgery.

I I found that a number of things I had been told or that had been suggested to me did not work for me. I also do not take chewables exclusively and I don't think that most people need to take chewables once their body starts to work with their new digestive system.

But I think we still need to be very cautious, especially in this world of enteric coatings. Once the pharmaceutical and vitamin supplements industries got on the bandwagon and started painting over the pressed powder pill, they created a huge obstacle to absorption for people who are already experiencing malabsorption via gastric bypass surgery.

You can't take time-released or sustained-release medication because it doesn't stay in your system the necessary amount of time to be absorbed. So if the instructions on the bottle say, "Do not break these tablets in half, take them whole," it's likely that it's not a good choice for people who have had bypass surgery.

It's also really important for you to follow your nutritionist's instructions to the letter, and to learn about your nutritional needs as if those details were as important as knowing your own name. Companies who sell vitamins and minerals for profit don't care that you're going to take a 1000 mg calcium tablet whole, even though it has a split mark down the middle so you can break it, because they don't want you to know that you can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time and that women need to take 3 doses a day. They also don't tell you that minerals cancel each other out, so you cannot take iron and calcium at the same time and expect the efficacy you need.

Most of us trust what it says on the label, like one-a-day vitamins, which may not be effective if taken only once a day. So it's important to spend some time learning about nutritional additives and supplements. Most people do not get the required vitamins they need from what they eat alone, especially if they eat a lot of highly processed food. But years of nutritional science has resulted in accurate numbers needed for health and life.

I was lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to participate in a University study about bariatric surgery. I would not have had a clue how to take vitamins and minerals if it hadn't been for that participation. But they took dozens of blood samples from me every time I needed to see my surgeon postoperatively, and then gave me paper printouts that I could read and study and learn from. I didn't even know what a BMI was until I was in this study. I did know that calcium citrate was better than calcium carbonate, and that ferrous fumarate was better than ferrous sulfate. But that was stuff I learned 40 years ago when I was pregnant because I had calcium and iron deficiencies.

And oh my God what a shock it was to me to realize how much money I was going to have to spend in order to adequately supplement my nutrition. I did shop around and in some cases I just couldn't afford the preferred brand, so I found a much less expensive alternative.

Attaching the word "bariatric" to a bottle of vitamins is sometimes a scam. I had a really nice surgical nurse who knew how poor I was and that I could not afford these expensive vitamins. So after one of my annual visits, I received an anonymous package in the mail full of the bariatric chewables that are flavored "like fruit." They had all the right numbers and amounts, but they stank to high heaven like kids' chewing gum, and they tasted so horrible I could barely stand to put them in my mouth. I found out that it was a gift from this very nice nurse. But the best part of the gift was that I realized I could not take these vitamins regardless! So I found alternatives using trial and error.

For what it's worth, the chewable vitamins I take daily taste terrible to me now, although I used to love them, like I loved candy. So now I don't chew them. I literally use a pair of pliers and crush them into powder, then swallow them with water or milk. And if a medication or supplement tablet comes with an enteric coating, I just break it in half, exposing the powdery inside, which apparently is enough to get the benefit of them, because I haven't had any insufficiencies in my blood tests.

Taking your supplements correctly is the most important thing to do after surgery, since it literally makes a difference between being healthy and being unhealthy. So figure out what is right for you by talking to your nutritionist and reading your blood tests, then take the supplements as you are instructed.

I didn't learn all of this before surgery, but I was just a lucky person to be educated by the University study people. I don't know how I survived for so long when I was bleaching before, with the inadequacy of the nutrition in my food. But I can tell you for sure, once I got nutritionally educated and started taking the correct doses, it was like night and day.

Back