• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what are you eating right now?

The attached photos were actually taken yesterday. In the first photo I am showing you the weirdest cucumber I've ever seen. One end of it was soft and squishy and when I peeled back the skin, it was bright red inside. Has anyone else ever seen this particular sort of rot in a cucumber?

But as I was creating all this food, I was thinking about my old sense of regret 12 years ago when my resistance to the idea of surgery was fully based in the belief that I would never eat anything that I really liked again. Well, I was wrong.

The greens that comprise the bulk of the salad are kale and arugula. I don't usually like kale, but lately I've been getting accustomed to it. I cut up some mango and strawberries and cucumbers and tossed them together with the mango juice and some lime juice, freshly squeezed out of a half-lime.

I sliced up some heirloom tomatoes which I tossed in some seasoning salt and a quarter teaspoon of Parmesan cheese, freshly grated.

I added some balsamic vinegar to the fruit and lime juice, which I then poured off and mixed with 1 tablespoon of Thousand Island dressing. I don't know why I have thousand island dressing in my refrigerator. I really don't like it and I usually make my own dressing. I must have had some kind of hankering for it, or maybe I wanted to make a chef salad.

I poured this juice and vinegar and lime and thousand island over the greens and tossed them. Well, not all the greens. I actually made enough for two giant salads, both of which I ate yesterday. Then I just topped it off with the fruit mixture and the heirloom tomato mix, toasted up a piece of Ezekiel bread and microwaved a chicken sausage, which I laid alongside the greens and sliced.

This was a big meal for me but it was my combined breakfast and lunch together, simply because I forgot to eat breakfast and I was starving by early afternoon when I made the salad. It's still was only a few hundred calories and the carbohydrates came from the Ezekiel bread, but I would probably walk 10 miles to get a slice of that. I love it and it barely even seems like bread because there is no flour in it.

It was delicious and filling, and when my son stopped by in the evening I offered it to him, secretly hoping that he would refuse it. He did! So I got to eat the rest of it. Sometimes you can offset a portion of the calories by eating foods that take more calories to digest than to burn. Iceberg lettuce and celery are two things I can think of that do that. But also, it has to be the same story with kale. That stuff is so coarse and takes forever to chew so I think it takes a long time for the cells to break down in your body.

That's what I ate yesterday. It's not a salad for rookies, but after 12 years, my system can digest it very easily. I love to eat and when I make something where I can use a lot of ingredients with a lot of flavor, I don't even miss the junk I used to eat.

Last edited:
The attached photos were actually taken yesterday. In the first photo I am showing you the weirdest cucumber I've ever seen. One end of it was soft and squishy and when I peeled back the skin, it was bright red inside. Has anyone else ever seen this particular sort of rot in a cucumber?

But as I was creating all this food, I was thinking about my old sense of regret 12 years ago when my resistance to the idea of surgery was fully based in the belief that I would never eat anything that I really liked again. Well, I was wrong.

The greens that comprise the bulk of the salad are kale and arugula. I don't usually like kale, but lately I've been getting accustomed to it. I cut up some mango and strawberries and cucumbers and tossed them together with the mango juice and some lime juice, freshly squeezed out of a half-lime.

I sliced up some heirloom tomatoes which I tossed in some seasoning salt and a quarter teaspoon of Parmesan cheese, freshly grated.

I added some balsamic vinegar to the fruit and lime juice, which I then poured off and mixed with 1 tablespoon of Thousand Island dressing. I don't know why I have thousand island dressing in my refrigerator. I really don't like it and I usually make my own dressing. I must have had some kind of hankering for it, or maybe I wanted to make a chef salad.

I poured this juice and vinegar and lime and thousand island over the greens and tossed them. Well, not all the greens. I actually made enough for two giant salads, both of which I ate yesterday. Then I just topped it off with the fruit mixture and the heirloom tomato mix, toast it up a piece of Ezekiel bread and microwaved a chicken sausage, which I laid alongside the greens and sliced.

This was a this was a big meal for me but it was my combined breakfast and lunch together, simply because I forgot to eat breakfast and I was starving by early afternoon when I made the salad. It's still was only a few hundred calories and the carbohydrates came from the Ezekiel bread, but I would probably walk 10 miles to get a slice of that. I love it and it barely even seems like bread because there is no flour in it.

It was delicious and filling, and when my son stopped by in the evening I offered it to him, secretly hoping that he would refuse it. He did! So I got to eat the rest of it. Sometimes you can offset a portion of the calories by eating foods that take more calories to digest than to burn. Iceberg letter and celery are two things I can think of that do that. But also, it has to be the same story with kale. That stuff is so coarse and takes forever to chew so I think it takes a long time for the cells to break down in your body.

That's what I ate yesterday. It's not a salad for rookies, but after 12 years, my system can digest it very easily. I love to eat and when I make something where I can use a lot of ingredients with a lot of flavor, I don't even miss the junk I used to eat.

View attachment 2030
View attachment 2031View attachment 2032
What is up with the FUNKY cucumber??? ;)

It's astonishing that this thread has been viewed 2000 times since it was posted in early September. Of course, the spammers ran the number count up by a few hundred, but it's still amazing. Today I'm going to eat simpler foods than I usually do, but I have a lot of things that need to go in the freezer to make that happen. I bought nonfat vanilla yogurt & cottage cheese yesterday, along with fresh and frozen produce, so that's what I'll be eating, along with a nice piece of skinless chicken for dinner. I think I might have a piece of Ezekiel bread, which contains no flour, plain, no butter or other toppings, because just eating that bread a little bite at a time is a cleansing experience. I love food and I love eating, but the blessing of this surgery for me has been that I'm capable of eating with joy, slowly, taking in small bites to savor every morsel. I've had my coffee already & now it's 12:30p here and I'm starving, so I'm off to have breakfast!

Back