• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What is "Dumping"?

I keep hearing people talking about dumping? I don't quite understand what it is. Is it a good thing or bad? The way my Doc talked about it, Sounded like bad. But I hear some people talk like its a good thing. A bit confused:confused:

It's the syndrome where a individual with a gastric bypass eats overly sweet, starchy or fatty foods experiences a reflexive ejection of those foods and may have period of illness and weakness. That is my understanding.

I found this at another site...

Dumping syndrome is one of the most common conditions that occur after gastric bypass surgery. Dumping syndrome is characterized by nausea and vomiting, weakness, fatigue, sweating, diarrhea (sometimes severe and right after eating), and feeling faint. Food nutrients and calories are absorbed in the small intestine. As the top portion (duodenum) of the intestine is bypassed in the surgery, there may not be time to absorb the food, making it pass right through, causing diarrhea. Many of the other symptoms, such as sweatiness, weakness and fatigue, are direct results of the body not absorbing the nutrients it needs. Proper diet and the daily intake of a multivitamin will help with these symptoms. Hopes this helps, Nancy

Hi. Yes all the above is very true. I love sweets and is one of the main reasons I had the gastric bypass with the solastic ring. I have NO will power when it came to sweets and "dumping" is not at all fun. I have not had the vomiting but have has ALL the other symptoms and it is what stops me from over indulging...

So does it mean you CANNOT eat sweets at all. Or there is just some sort of trigger the you feel, you know you have reached you limit, if you eat more... bam.. suffer time? Will I ever be able to have a bit of sweets? I realize everyone is different. I am just curious.

For each person it is different, but for most it means eating sweets will cause dumping. Some people I know have overcome it, but I'm not even interested in trying, because I'm a sugar junkie. Once I start, I won't be able to stop. Again, everyone is different, so you have to weigh the choices carefully.

Frank

:cool:

Not only can dumping occur from eating foods too high in carbs (whether from sugar or starches) or foods high in fat, it can also happen from overeating the healthy foods that are recommened for us people who have had bariatric surgery. As was already mentioned, some people are more sensitive than others. If you stick to the meal plan you will be just fine.

So does it mean you CANNOT eat sweets at all. Or there is just some sort of trigger the you feel, you know you have reached you limit, if you eat more... bam.. suffer time? Will I ever be able to have a bit of sweets? I realize everyone is different. I am just curious.

I discussed this question at my live support group. They said it depends on the individual, some of them could not tolerate sweets period and others could indulge up to a point and they knew where their limits were. My guess is that if one is bound and determined one will find a way.

I think the mixture of good vs. bad thing is just in how you look at it. No one wants to feel shake, with weakness, diarrhea, etc., so that's the bad!! But I'm looking at it as a good thing because it will remind me to stay on track. I've not experienced it (just shy of 6 weeks post op), but I don't want to go down that path of sweets and trying to get by with things I don't really need.

Dumping was explained to me as to quick of food intake and not enough time for the nutrients to b absorbed. No water within 30 minutes of eating, before or after. Of course sticking to the meal plan and more importantly chewing, chewing, chewing ! My doctor was very honest to the fact if you don't follow the plan you will b uncomfortable and in pain not mention the vomitting and diarrehea.

I think more like after a year you can introduce sweets very slowly by then you may not want them.

Back