• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Shakers and Hand Mixers

Qaterra

Our host carries what I believe is the best Blender Bottle on the market; the one with the Blender Ball inside. The difference between it and a regular shaker bottle (an empty container with a lid) is as marked as the difference between night and day.

There are many small hand mixers on the market. Two I've used are by fit & fresh.

The first, Portable Drink Mixer, is hand held, comes in its own carry case and is small enough to fit into most purses or briefcases/attaches. Roughly 5-1/2" x 2-1/2", it takes 2 AA batteries. Easily blends protein powder into liquids. Under $10.

The second, Portable Power Mixer, is a self-contained mixer. The motor is contained in a head or cap which fits onto a 20oz clear plastic cup, with clearly visible quantity markings. Mixer and drink container all rolled into one. Requires 4 AA batteries. Considerably bigger than the other, still will fit into many purses and briefcases. Don't recall price, think it was roughly double the smaller unit. (My memory was faulty. Price ranges from $6 - $12 for either unit.)

My personal preference is the smaller of the two, the Portable Drink Mixer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Pat,

I got them at Lucky Vitamin. They're also available at Amazon and other places, I'm sure. Handy little gadgets.

What is TBD? to be done? and why the MiniGastric Bypass and not the whole enchalada?

To Be Done? lol Sure, Sandie, why not, that's close enough. Actually, TBD means To Be Determined.

As to why the MGB instead of rny or sleeve or ds, I will borrow from a post made recently by Lara, another Forum Member.

fewer complications
high success rate
less invasive
reversible

I have been researching wls for a long time and have decided the MGB is the surgery that is right for me. Unfortunately, it isn't right for my pocketbook but I'm working on that, too!

Does insurance not pay for MGB? Would your insurance pay for Gastric Bypass or Sleeve for you? Gastric Bypass can be redone but the docs tend to not tell us that because they really do not want people doing the surgery figuring that once down to the weight and maintaining it having it reversed. BUT if it were needed to be redone for medical al reasons, it is my understanding that they cut the intestine at the stomach, reattach where it belongs and then reattacing the stomach (unused) to the pouch, NOT easy but can be done by the right docs.

No insurance that I know of will pay for the MGB. Although it is about 17 years out and thousands upon thousands of successful surgeries have been done (all self-pay), the MGB is still considered "experimental." Yes, my insurance would pay for rny.

As to the "reversibility" of the rny, don't be fooled. There are people who have had their rny "reversed." I have read many of their conversations and comments on the boards. I have reviewed all three surgeries in excruciating detail; the rny, the MGB and the so-called rny reversal. I share the opinion of most surgeons who perform the rny that, while it may be reversible technically, the success rate of reversing the rny is poor and is not recommended.

Back