• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date is April 16th!

mezahluna

I have been in the process for a Bariatric Sleeve since September of 2011. I have a date now I can not wait. My knees are killing me:D

I have been in the process for a Bariatric Sleeve since September of 2011. I have a date now I can not wait. My knees are killing me:D

Congratulations. What is your surgery date? I had my RNY 2/27/12. I remember when someone from the surgeon's office called me to give me some options on surgery dates. I couldn't believe it because just the day before they told me it could take 6 to 8 weeks for insurance approval. The insurance cooridinator at the surgeon's office did such a thorough job with submitting all of the required documents that mine was approved within 24 hours. I was so happy because I started this journey almost 6 years ago. The insurance I had back then through work had an exclusion for weight loss surgery and even with 2 doctors sending in letters I couldn't get approved. Due to a series of events I ended up being laid off work after a back surgery then becomming disabled and eventually ended up on Social Security disability then became eligible for Medicare insurance 18 months after that.

I'm sorry your knees hurt so bad. I need a hip replacement myself so I can relate. People who haven't gone through this don't fully understand what we are up against. On this forum there are so many who can relate and offer such good advice. Don't be shy about asking questions. Make sure you come back to the forum to let everyone know how you are doing.

Last edited:

Yaehh!!! Lets hope your knees will start feeling better in a few months, it's amazing what taking off a few lbs can do. :cool: Tom

I well rememeber the pain in my knees. I had to finally have a replacement abouy three years after my surgry. believe me you will notice the difference not in just your knee. good luck and welocome to the forum. I did my rny i 2003 and thee was not a weight loss plan prior ro surgery, theprocedure was open but I had a great pos t op recovery. the biggest problems we 64 oz. of water and 70 grams of protein but there are so many products out there now it should be less of problem.patti

Mezahluna

hi first of all CONGRATULATIONS on finally getting your surgery date, I'm still waiting for mine,but I refuse to give up. May I ask what has taken them so long to give you your surgery date?
you've done good with weight loss, the paper trail and all the tests I know take time, thank goodness you've been patient and your new journey to a happier you is just around the corner.
Please keep us posted how you are doing, there's always someone here to say an encouraging word and to just listen.
Donna

HI Hmboucher64,
I was reading posts and saw where you'd had your surgery this Feb7,12? IF so you've sure lost alot of weight. congratulations may I ask how much of that you lost before surgery?
I go May4 ,12 for my 1st surgery appt and hopefully be told to start my 2 weeks of liquids, I am so ready to begin the next phase of this journey.
Hope you're having a healthy happy good day
Donna

I have Medical Mutual Insurance. The total time for them to clear you is approximately 6 months. This includes 6 monthly weight management doctor visits, 4 pre surgery psychiatric support group meeting, 4 "one on one" with a psych therapist. 3 group bariatric meetings, a sleep study, 4 pre surgery nutrition consults and a pulmonary study. Not to forget the blood work. I completed everything required in late Feb. It took exactly 2 weeks to get the OK from the insurance company after the hospital turn in my clearance letters from Psych, Weight Management and Pulmonary. And after surgery a whole bunch of follow ups with everyone. :)

Happy for you that your surgery date is fast approaching. Like others I beleive your knee pain will lessen up alot as the pounds come off. This site has alot to offer, and everybody is great about sharing questions and comments, so please come back with your notes how things progress for you, I will be praying for you and I know you'll do well.
Anxiously awaiting my surgery date.
Donna

Back