• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 week check in?

Lily27

Hello all, I'm 10 weeks post op now, doing well, losing weight, feeling pretty good overall. I'm finally feeling more like myself again starting last week, I was surprised it took this long but definitely happy about it. My drive to have the surgery included significant chronic GI issues that have mostly resolved now. I can sleep laying down, I don't feel either hungry, nauseous, or in pain. I can eat and feel good. I still follow a gluten free, dairy free and sugar free eating plan, with almost no raw vegetables or fruits, no fried foods, no breads, pasta, or rice/grains. (I honestly think that has made it easier for me, I don't have a world of choices so I don't consider those things) My biggest challenge is remembering to sip slowly, I'm a gulper. My husband commented about watching me move so much more fluidly and comfortably. My back isn't screaming, my hip isn't screaming, my foot isn't screaming. All are at a much more tolerable pain level now. (I'm walking at least 45 min to an hour daily, and the pain is still tolerable.) I'm enjoying my clothes being loose, and feeling so much more comfortable on a regular basis. Though I did try on some jeans and I love them but the waist is still snug for me and that sets off a chorus of protest in my abdomen, so not yet.
I'm going to see kids and grandkids next week and super excited about it but it is daunting thinking of a full week out of town with a mini fridge and microwave. My daughter is going to bring a can opener and some silverware so I can always have tuna and pickles. I'm bringing my favorite protein bars and roasted edamame. Other than that I'll have to learn as I go.

Just in case anyone is interested, my stats are Starting weight 255 on 8/8/23, beginning of 2 week liquid diet 12/20/23 at 228, day of surgery 1/3/24 at 219, current weight 191. I'm 5' 9.5", 51 years old. I had RnY Gastric Bypass with hiatal hernia repair. The hernia repair area was painful, and I had a hiccup with my dodgy bladder, didn't want to wake up so I had an extra day in the hospital, but that resolved quickly and I've had no issues since. The other issue was constipation, but then that already sucked for me before the surgery, it's actually better now since the surgery as long as I keep drinking water with miralax, and every few days milk of magnesia. I've never vomited, wished I could 2 or 3 times but got through it.

Again, I just want to thank everyone here for taking the time and effort to help all the new and returning folks, it's made such a difference for me. I'm an anxious person naturally and having all this here to research and read about helped tremendously.

Last edited:
So happy to hear your story I had the same bypass except mine was a revision from Lapland. I'm almost 2 years post op, the best thing I have done for myself.
Keep up the good work snd yes we learn as we go. I'm still learning. Have fun with the Littles and be safe and travel safely

Hey Lily, so nice to meet you here. Your weight loss & new lifestyle are awesome! Congrats on everything going so well. Gastric bypass is a great way to resolve reflux for lots of us.

You should be able to use Benefiber (Kroger's has a generic substitute for several $$ less). It is tasteless & mixes up perfectly clear, no gritty feeling, and it should help. My surgeon also prescribe generic Colace stool softener.

Again, it's great to see our new members doing so well and being so excited to start this journey to better health. Good luck!

Back