• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 years Post Op Thoughts

Tomorrow will be my 3 year surgiversary and it has been quite the ride. I started at 270lbs and am currently at 168, (after a boozy weekend lol) I stay between 5-10 lbs above my low, which was my steady normal for about 2 years. Everyone is different, so your journey may not follow my path. However, these are the things I've experienced.

While the weight came off almost like magic, keeping it off is WORK! I am 1 of 5 ppl in my family that have had WLS. 1 has gained everything back (4 yrs), 2 did not lose the percentage expected and 1 has gained approx 30% back. My husband is not quite 2 years out and is still losing, albeit very slowly. And I am under my goal but have gained these 5-10 (I keep a 5lb window).

I can eat much more than I was lead to believe would be possible. That was true almost immediately, so its not that I've stretched my stomach. So I must still meal plan, track and measure my intake fairly regularly. If I don't, that's when 5 becomes 10.

Surgery did not cure my mental issues with food. And I'm not sure that they will ever fully leave me. Food has been reward, love, comfort and support throughout my life. You can't change your history and changing the habits of a lifetime requires a constant awareness. It can be difficult to stay focused on healthy foods and amounts. I thought I would somehow become "normal" and no longer have to think about food. That has not been my experience. Actually, in talking to normal sized ppl, I've found that most people have to focus on healthy eating to stay at a healthy weight. That was a surprise to me.

I still believe its one of the best decisions I've ever made. I am SO active! After being physically forced to to skip out 1/2 way through a tour of the Vatican because I could not take another step (2018), I relish being able to go and go and go. We are going hiking in Sedona, AZ next week. Old me couldn't have SAT in Sedona in 100 degree temps, never mind walked anywhere!!

I also no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol etc. My esophageal damage has improved so much that I no longer require full time meds or yearly biopsies! At 53, I am healthier than I have been in decades. I walk, ride my bike, go to Zumba, cardio drumming, step and tone classes ... For FUN!! lol

A lot of people worry about the skin situation. I do have saggy skin. But I am pretty happy with how I look. However, I LOVE how I feel. And I love the freedom from worries about my health due to obesity issues.

I am 1000% happy with my decision to do this. And about 95% committed to long term success LMAO Sometimes, 5% of the time, a cookie will win

Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary! What a journey you have had! You are absolutely an inspiration and source of encouragement for me. I have been "stuck" at a plateau and not losing for several weeks but am trying out your suggestions of adding more hiking instead of upping my exercise bike time to see if that helps me get over my plateau!

I was ready to ask if I ever would go back to normal after the year was over. I am 4 months out and lost 55 pounds, I worry that I will lose too much, and I eat very little otherwise I vomit. Does it get better? I am doing ok, labs came with all vitamins are ok, so maybe I am just a worrier.

Ronnie, I worry too, but I am worryworm, I am giving my best shot, and I hope I can live healthily for the rest of my life and learn from my past, I am 59 with 250 at the beginning of my pre-ops diet back in December, I am almost 6 weeks off and 210 now. I am still learning how to not overeat and know when to stop and what to eat.

Missy you are a mentor to me for sure. I had my 3 year annual review today. My original starting point for weight loss prior to surgery was 327, when i had surgery i was at 274 with todays visit i am still at 100 pounds lost but still want to drop under 200. I have not given up by any means. I can still do this. Check out my latest update under long long story. I believe in me no matter what. Thank you for being you.

To all of you who are a few weeks or a few months out .. Yes, it gets better. It gets easier. There are new struggles, because life lol but you'll be able to eat and enjoy it.

When you start losing so quickly and can't eat more than a tablespoon or two, it's easy to become alarmed and worry that you'll never get to a point that you can eat enough and be comfortable.

Please keep in mind you've had major surgery and they removed the majority of one of your organs. If you had the bypass, they also rerouted some of your digestive tract. Things are going to be wonky for a while. Just like any other major surgery or injury, time heals.

Power through my friends.

Tomorrow will be my 3 year surgiversary and it has been quite the ride. I started at 270lbs and am currently at 168, (after a boozy weekend lol) I stay between 5-10 lbs above my low, which was my steady normal for about 2 years. Everyone is different, so your journey may not follow my path. However, these are the things I've experienced.

While the weight came off almost like magic, keeping it off is WORK! I am 1 of 5 ppl in my family that have had WLS. 1 has gained everything back (4 yrs), 2 did not lose the percentage expected and 1 has gained approx 30% back. My husband is not quite 2 years out and is still losing, albeit very slowly. And I am under my goal but have gained these 5-10 (I keep a 5lb window).

I can eat much more than I was lead to believe would be possible. That was true almost immediately, so its not that I've stretched my stomach. So I must still meal plan, track and measure my intake fairly regularly. If I don't, that's when 5 becomes 10.

Surgery did not cure my mental issues with food. And I'm not sure that they will ever fully leave me. Food has been reward, love, comfort and support throughout my life. You can't change your history and changing the habits of a lifetime requires a constant awareness. It can be difficult to stay focused on healthy foods and amounts. I thought I would somehow become "normal" and no longer have to think about food. That has not been my experience. Actually, in talking to normal sized ppl, I've found that most people have to focus on healthy eating to stay at a healthy weight. That was a surprise to me.

I still believe its one of the best decisions I've ever made. I am SO active! After being physically forced to to skip out 1/2 way through a tour of the Vatican because I could not take another step (2018), I relish being able to go and go and go. We are going hiking in Sedona, AZ next week. Old me couldn't have SAT in Sedona in 100 degree temps, never mind walked anywhere!!

I also no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol etc. My esophageal damage has improved so much that I no longer require full time meds or yearly biopsies! At 53, I am healthier than I have been in decades. I walk, ride my bike, go to Zumba, cardio drumming, step and tone classes ... For FUN!! lol

A lot of people worry about the skin situation. I do have saggy skin. But I am pretty happy with how I look. However, I LOVE how I feel. And I love the freedom from worries about my health due to obesity issues.

I am 1000% happy with my decision to do this. And about 95% committed to long term success LMAO Sometimes, 5% of the time, a cookie will win
What kind of surgery did you have? I have several relatives who have had sleeve and this is all I hear. Same issues. I had the bypass and I went down so low in weight, the nutritionist had to give me another diet. While of course that’s not a conventional situation, I have some friends who are in the same boat with the bypass. I’m 4 years out and I still never get hungry. I think it really does depend on the individual and your medical history, make-up. I also did have a unique different situation as to why I had to elect for this surgery. In any case, you can only do the best you can and it sounds like you are healthy and happy, and that’s very important!

Thank you for this support thread. The mental game is really hitting me and I am 3 weeks PreOp. I appreciate the recognition that the mental game can be part of the challenge for some folks. I need this group of folks to help me level set a norm that sounds familiar.

Back