• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 Years 5 Months Post Op & Gaining Weight Back

JaniceH

I just joined and posted this under introductions :). I am learning! Just saw this group and wanted to get it out there to others who may have some tips.

I am really struggling. I'm afraid to get on the scale. I gained about 20lbs from my ideal weight over the last year and did a pouch reset in Oct and got back to my ideal weight. In the last couple weeks I've been feeling incredibly bloated and like I've gained 30lbs. I know it's not possible, but I'm scared to get on the scale. For the last couple years I'm REALLY struggled with digestion issues and constantly being constipated. I would NEVER not be happy that I had the surgery. It was a bazillion percent the best thing I've ever done for me. I just want to find my way back to making time for me and putting me first. I've got sucked into the stress of everything and have put myself last. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Janice and welcome to the group. If you got back to your ideal weight in October, you can certainly do so again. Even IF you have gained some of it back. It's amazing to me how successful most of us are when we are focused first on ourselves. And how quickly things start to slide as we allow other things to derail us. (I am in the same boat there so totally get what you are saying!)

Since you've been successful for so long, I am not going to give food/diet/lifestyle advice. You know what to do there. I am going suggest a fiber-based supplement, such as Metamucil, for constipation. Or a stool softening Miralax type mix, depending on your personal issue. If neither of these fully work, please see your doctor or a gastroenterologist who can prescribe you a medication to help in this area.

As our member Judy always says "You cannot pour from an empty cup." so make sure you are taking the time to meet your basic needs. Your health comes first. Good luck

Hi Janice & welcome to the group. Ditto what Missy said. I think a pouch reset could work again to kickstart your weight loss. Maybe even try each step for 2 days rather than one, making it a 10 day reset? IDK but it might help.

For what it's worth, I add a couple or 3 spoonfuls of Benefiber to some Gatorade Zero every evening. It mixes up clear and tasteless, and I have had almost no bloating or constipation since WLS in July.

I do notice some gurgling in my abdomen if I eat more than I should. Please consider measuring out what you are eating for each serving, and maybe try cutting your amounts down to 1/2 to 1 cup max to help with digestive issues and to help move the scale numbers downward.

You have been successful in your journey. Please don't get discouraged by the bumps in the road. You will be able to get through this. Here you will find lots of caring nonjudgmental supportive people to encourage and guide you.

Best of luck!

I'm scared to get on the scale.

Get on the scale. What you're imagining is much worse than dealing with reality.

Even if you're devastated by the number you see, it's better than the imagined horror you're haunted by. Once you know the numbers, you can take appropriate emotional action. You've done it before.

WLS doesn't cure eating disorders, and if you didn't have an eating disorder, you never would have needed WLS. You will struggle with weight and mental obsessions about self image all your life.

Manage your diet, making healthy choices, getting some movement and stretching in, as well as you can. Accept the fact that success still comes with failures added in. It's okay. It's universal. Nobody's perfect.

Know your weight and take the power of being strong enough to accept it. Don't let it ruin your life. Everyone struggles with something, and still, they function. It makes no difference if you weigh more or less than you think you should. Your relationship to people and things in your life can't be harmed by the number on the scale--unless you let it happen.

I found it liberating to tell people my true weight. It was like I was suddenly able to breathe because I wasn't strangled by fear of expectations.

There are a thousand little fears that are trying to control you. You can zap one of them by knowing your real weight and owning it. It's not like you'll feel better by avoiding the scale. Rather, the obsession gets stronger when you add this anxiety.

Give yourself a break. You're beautiful whether you know your number or not.

I just joined and posted this under introductions :). I am learning! Just saw this group and wanted to get it out there to others who may have some tips.

I am really struggling. I'm afraid to get on the scale. I gained about 20lbs from my ideal weight over the last year and did a pouch reset in Oct and got back to my ideal weight. In the last couple weeks I've been feeling incredibly bloated and like I've gained 30lbs. I know it's not possible, but I'm scared to get on the scale. For the last couple years I'm REALLY struggled with digestion issues and constantly being constipated. I would NEVER not be happy that I had the surgery. It was a bazillion percent the best thing I've ever done for me. I just want to find my way back to making time for me and putting me first. I've got sucked into the stress of everything and have put myself last. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
My dietitian told me to add magnesium up to 2000 mg a day to relieve constipation. If you’re taking Bariatric vitamins, that gives you 400 mg. You can get it in pill form or chewable tablets or gummies. So, you can take however works best for you. I use capsules and chewable both to add up to 2000 mg. If you start with adding 400 mg and add more every two week period, you can take less if you find it’s working for you at a lower dose.

My dietitian told me to add magnesium up to 2000 mg a day to relieve constipation. If you’re taking Bariatric vitamins, that gives you 400 mg. You can get it in pill form or chewable tablets or gummies. So, you can take however works best for you. I use capsules and chewable both to add up to 2000 mg. If you start with adding 400 mg and add more every two week period, you can take less if you find it’s working for you at a lower dose.
One thing we don't do here is give medical advice. We can suggest trying a particular vitamin, mineral, fiber option, etc., with the reminder always to check with your physician and/or bariatric team first. This is not a scolding on my part, just a reminder please. ❤❤

Back