• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 month post op weight

I know everyone is different and we all lose/ gain weight different but I was just curious . How much weight did you lose at your 6 month mark ? I’ve read that some people lose a lot of weight at the beginning and other towards the middle ? Just curious to see other people results at this point and journey. Can anyone else give me some advice on how the next 6 month might go and any advice to give ? I exercise 4-5 days a week ( spin bike and other stuff) and try to make healthy food choices .
I’m currently down 60 pounds.

I had my surgery on July 16, 2020. My weight on July 2, when I started my pre-surgery diet was 310.5. Including weight loss during the two weeks prior to surgery, here's my month by month breakdown:

July - 28
Aug - 23
Sep - 10
Oct - 11
Nov - 6
Dec - 11

6 month loss, 78.5 since surgery; 89 including 2 week pre-surgery diet.

I've got a few days to go until my "official" six month surgiversary, so we'll see where it is officially then, but I've dropped a couple more pounds since the end of December. I don't expect too much weight loss each month from this point because I think things are starting to slow down now that I'm 20-30 lbs from my probable end-point.

As you pointed out, we all lose a bit differently. Some people lose and then stall, over and over again. Some people just slowly lose over a couple years, and others drop almost everything they are going to lose in 8 months or less. Most of us are somewhere in between. Genetics, starting weight and ending weight, microbiome health, age, and sex all play a factor in how each person's journey unfolds.

In the end, even if it takes a couple years, most of us will have lost that weight much faster than the years it took to put in on. That doesn't apply to everyone, of course, our stories are all somewhat different, but generally speaking, we all have a much better chance of reaching our goals than not, as long as we make good choices.

One tip I would give you is don't go too far with cardio exercise, as that in combination with a low calorie diet can actually slow your metabolism and fat burning process. Exercise does very little for weight loss, but it has many other benefits and should be a part of what we do, but moderate is generally better when you are in the fat loss stages, and then when you reach your goal, you can knock the cardio out of the park, if you want, because it's great for weight maintenance.

Best of luck over the next six months!

I had surgery on June 22nd, 2020. I lost 15 lbs during the 2 week pre-op diet.
Month 1 - 14
Month 2 - 15
Month 3 - 12
Month 4 - 8
Month 5 - 7
Month 6 - 3 Which was for sure the Xmas cookies because I'm down 6 more in the 3 weeks since.
I am about 1/2 way through month 7, so I would also like to know what to expect coming up. I set a very pragmatic goal, which I met this week. So, now I'm trying to figure out a new goal. I know I need to build back some muscle so I'd like to lose enough to cover that. Honestly, I could be happy here for the rest of my life but I'm worried if I just try maintaining it'll all go to hell.

Back