• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

artificial sweetners

LisaLisa

Hello all--
I just had a 2 hour group appointment with my dietician and like so many other sources, she was recommending artificial sweetened food and sweetners. I have never been a fan of the chemicals and not sure of the long term effects on the body. I know the answer is to just not eat it, but is there a healthy sugar substitute that isn't artificial and yet not dump-inducing? Monk fruit, agave? Maybe I'll be a lucky girl and lose my taste for sweets. After my protein shake samples, all I want is salt because they are so sicky sweet.

I have another appointment with her next week for a one-on-one and I'll ask her but in the meantime? I'll search the archives as well, because I can't believe I'm the first one to have concerns on this.

Welp a quick google search on "best sweetener after bariatric surgery" brought this information.

~
Here’s how the individual sugar substitutes stack up.

Stevia, found in Equal Naturals, Pure Via, Splenda Naturals, Stevia in the Raw, SweetLeaaf, and Truvia may have a slightly bitter aftertaste, but appear to be safe to consume.

Erythritol, found in Equal Naturals, Splenda Naturals, Swerve, Truvia, and Wholesome Zero is an underutilized gem in the world of sugar substitutes. You may have the best luck finding this product online. It bakes well and tastes like sugar and appears to be safe for consumption. Although it is a sugar alcohol, it has fewer of the gastro-intestinal side effects found with most sugar alcohols.

Sugar Alcohols, known by the names hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, Isomalt, Lactitol, Maltitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, and Xylitol appear to be safe in moderate amounts. Larger amounts can cause the gastro-intestinal side effects of gas, cramping and diarrhea. Sugar alcohols are found in many sugar free products including candy, protein bars, and ice cream. Limit to 7 grams per day until you are able to establish your personal tolerance level.

Acesulfame Potassium is found in Equal Original and Equal Spoonful and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Aspartame is found in Equal Original, Equal Spoonful, and NutraSweet and many processed foods. It is the most widely studied sweetener and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Saccharin is found in Sugar Twin and Sweet’N Low and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Sucralose is found in Spenda and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Another source with more details

Welp a quick google search on "best sweetener after bariatric surgery" brought this information.

~
Here’s how the individual sugar substitutes stack up.

Stevia, found in Equal Naturals, Pure Via, Splenda Naturals, Stevia in the Raw, SweetLeaaf, and Truvia may have a slightly bitter aftertaste, but appear to be safe to consume.

Thanks for sharing!!! I’m a huge fan of Splenda

Erythritol, found in Equal Naturals, Splenda Naturals, Swerve, Truvia, and Wholesome Zero is an underutilized gem in the world of sugar substitutes. You may have the best luck finding this product online. It bakes well and tastes like sugar and appears to be safe for consumption. Although it is a sugar alcohol, it has fewer of the gastro-intestinal side effects found with most sugar alcohols.

Sugar Alcohols, known by the names hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, Isomalt, Lactitol, Maltitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, and Xylitol appear to be safe in moderate amounts. Larger amounts can cause the gastro-intestinal side effects of gas, cramping and diarrhea. Sugar alcohols are found in many sugar free products including candy, protein bars, and ice cream. Limit to 7 grams per day until you are able to establish your personal tolerance level.

Acesulfame Potassium is found in Equal Original and Equal Spoonful and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Aspartame is found in Equal Original, Equal Spoonful, and NutraSweet and many processed foods. It is the most widely studied sweetener and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Saccharin is found in Sugar Twin and Sweet’N Low and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Sucralose is found in Spenda and many processed foods and should be used with caution or avoided because it may cause cancer in animals.

Another source with more details

There are many variants of Stevia, and there is quite a difference in taste and sweetness, so you may need some trial and error if you go that direction. I use Sweet Leaf liquid in my coffee and tea. It's the only brand I like.

For baking or cooking I use Swerve which is erythritol. Swerve is nice because you can use it cup for cup with sugar, although it works better in some recipes and not so great in others.

I use splenda in iced tea in small amounts to cut down the bitterness. I used to use sweetnlow for decades but switched long ago thinking splenda is less cancer causing

I use swerve granules in cold cereal that need sweetening. It works really well here but is super metallic tasting in tea.

Ive also had swerve pancakes but didnt care for them enough for the stupid price. I have pancakes or waffles rare enough and in small quantities that i prefer the real deal. I like sugar free syrup okay but prefer real maple

Generally, even though im type2 i swear artificial sweeteners are as bad or worse than actual sugar on glucose spikes. And since you are conscious of eating sugar free, i tend to over eat or just splurge elsewhere.

Most sugar replacements seem gimmicky. A coworker also type2 makes muffins, cakes and such often and shares with me; she often just uses half the sugars asked for in recipes and also adds other replacements like apple sauce. 95% of her stuff is 90-95% as good as the real deal. Very few items arent great, usually dry as the sugar caused mouth watering

Hello all--
I just had a 2 hour group appointment with my dietician and like so many other sources, she was recommending artificial sweetened food and sweetners. I have never been a fan of the chemicals and not sure of the long term effects on the body. I know the answer is to just not eat it, but is there a healthy sugar substitute that isn't artificial and yet not dump-inducing? Monk fruit, agave? Maybe I'll be a lucky girl and lose my taste for sweets. After my protein shake samples, all I want is salt because they are so sicky sweet.

I have another appointment with her next week for a one-on-one and I'll ask her but in the meantime? I'll search the archives as well, because I can't believe I'm the first one to have concerns on this.
It will happen. I just drink the sugar-free Gatorade sports drinks and flavored protein sports drinks to help me stay hydrated. I can't do the protein drinks due to lactose, which they said would not be a problem before surgery, yes it is, even with the powder, it comes right back up. But there are all flavors of sugar free protein drinks on the market now. When the Commissary don't have them, I just order them off line. I also squeeze the MiO electrolytes in my water. Propel also has a variety of different electrolytes water. if you can drinks the protein shakes you can blend fruits to them to boost it up.

It will happen. I just drink the sugar-free Gatorade sports drinks and flavored protein sports drinks to help me stay hydrated. I can't do the protein drinks due to lactose, which they said would not be a problem before surgery, yes it is, even with the powder, it comes right back up. But there are all flavors of sugar free protein drinks on the market now. When the Commissary don't have them, I just order them off line. I also squeeze the MiO electrolytes in my water. Propel also has a variety of different electrolytes water. if you can drinks the protein shakes you can blend fruits to them to boost it up.

Since you cant do regular shakes due to the lactose have you tried Fairlife Nutrition shakes or the Fairlife Milk? Both of them are lactose free. The science behind the process is foreign to me. To get more protein I have also now incorporated the 2% Fairlife Milk into my diet in addition to the Fairlife Nutrition drinks.

Like you I don't care for the chemicals or aftertaste. I am going to use natural sweeteners like date syrup, maple syrup, agave, applesauce/banana/veggies/beans if I bake, which I rarely do. I want to stay within nature for my food sources after I get through this first 6-9 months. For now, it's chemical laden shakes and sweeteners to not upset the status quo and meet my targets. But every day I cook real foods with focus on how best to keep them low-fat and low-carb with maximum nutrients while still tasting good. I think if we just keep it simple, it will be so much easier to maintain. My goal is: eat clean.

I agree that we are overwhelming ourselves! We need to just keep it healthy and simple. I have been doing Keto recipes especially for my bread that’s made with low-fat cream cheese or using corn tortillas yes I still crave bread...but I don’t give in. Keto has so many healthy options. I am learning to use different spices I just don’t overwhelm myself I choose a few recipes to stick with and slowly add in others to make sure it works with my reflux. But if what you do is working for you stick to it to help you reach your goal. I will tell you the weight will fluctuate I go from 199 to 205. When it does that I still stay on the same eating plan the doctor says it’s probably water gain after a couple of days I am back to 199 that’s good compared to 345lbs. Be Safe!

Like you I don't care for the chemicals or aftertaste. I am going to use natural sweeteners like date syrup, maple syrup, agave, applesauce/banana/veggies/beans if I bake, which I rarely do. I want to stay within nature for my food sources after I get through this first 6-9 months. For now, it's chemical laden shakes and sweeteners to not upset the status quo and meet my targets. But every day I cook real foods with focus on how best to keep them low-fat and low-carb with maximum nutrients while still tasting good. I think if we just keep it simple, it will be so much easier to maintain. My goal is: eat clean.
Badgy, I started clean eating 3 months before my surgery in July and have stuck with this. I also try to avoid artificial sweetener and use dates and date sugar.

Back