• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Beginner questions

newme74

I'm new to the forum and I'm now almost 3months out from surgery. How much should I have lost to know if I'm on track and should I feel like I'm eating a lot with eating all these small meals a day??

I'm new to the forum and I'm now almost 3months out from surgery. How much should I have lost to know if I'm on track and should I feel like I'm eating a lot with eating all these small meals a day??

Welcome.

OK, let me understand a little better. When you say you are 3 months out, are you saying you have had your surgery and you are post op now?

Please fill in your profile so we can all see your information, the date of your procedure, what procedure, etc., etc.,

Tell us about your experience a bit further. Then we can chime in and help you out a lot.

Assuming you mean 3 months post op, it all depends how much weight you will lose. This is why it is so important to know your starting weight, your current weight, your ultimate goal, etc.

For example, I am 4 months 1 week post op. I have lost 72 pounds to date. I started at 290 and now I am at 218.

As far as I am concerned and my Doctor agrees, I am doing fantastic.

However, there are other members here at the forum that have lost a lot more weight in shorter periods of time. Why? Well, they started at a much higher weight than I and will tend to lose a lot more weight in a shorter period of time since they have so much more to lose than I.

More importantly, weight isn't the only factor. There are so many other accomplishments to be proud of as you progress post op. I have a whole list I will publish for you again. In fact, I can locate a list right here in a previous post hang on I will be back to edit this post and add the list.

Ralph

Ps here is my list of accomplishments

Medical/Physical Maladies that have been resolved to date

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year. The air pressure from the CPAP machine was making me very uncomfortable; lots of burping
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants comfortably and just made it into 42 pants.
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy
• I can dance, dance and dance
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now!
• I can see my toes again 
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks comfortably and looking forward to size 40 slacks. Just got into 40s but they are snug.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 

So join in, read the posts here for background, ask questions. There is no bad question to ask. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

We are here to support each other.

Best wishes to you and once again welcome,

Ralph

If you are post op then there is no set amount you should have lost by now since everyone is extremely different however my surgeon did tell me that the average for 6-9 weeks out was about 3-7 lbs a week.

If you are post op then there is no set amount you should have lost by now since everyone is extremely different however my surgeon did tell me that the average for 6-9 weeks out was about 3-7 lbs a week.
That is a good range.

However, now I am 4 months plus 1 week out.

I am now losing about 6-8 pounds a month, which is fine by me.

The fast weight loss for me happened in the first couple of months.

So, if I continue at say 6 pounds a month now for another 3 months, I will be near 200 pounds. I suspect by then my weight loss might even slow down further to say 2-4 pounds per month.

We will see.

Ralph

WELCOME to the Forum! Glad you are joining us on this weight loss journey. Ralph is right, you need to fill out the rest of your info so we know when and what type of surgery you had and how much you needed to lose, to answer your question.

Cheyenne. :)

Hello I am so excited about this journey. I attend my 4th supervised weight loss visit next month! I've lost a few pounds and as long as I continue to progress I will be enrolled in my preop skills classes!!! I cannot wait!!!

Back