• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

cadaver donation & bariatric surgery

I don't have a federal or medical resource to paste in here, just my words to share and on my wrist, a MedicAlert bracelet I engraved at a pet store with the words "CADAVER DONOR." Inside the bracelet I have more information on paper instructing the person who opens it to get my body to the University of Washington Medical School, where I had my RYGB back in 2008. I want them to have my body as a sort of full-circle moment. After all, they saved my life with the surgery. And when I die, I want to let them see how the surgery affected my body.

The deal in my state is that the school is allowed to dissect/bisect/etc. my cadaver for one year. At that time, they are required to cremate my remains and give them to my son, my one and only heir, in a plain can or box. I have instructed him to take my ashes to our favorite hiking spot, Desolation Peak over Ross Lake, which is the first place I was able to go after I lost all that weight and trained for a hike at the YMCA. He'll let my ashes fly over the peak of the mountain and over the lake so they'll be one with nature in my eternally favorite spot. I don't know if my ashes will do the environment any good, but I'm sure they won't do any harm.

This is all symbolic of my gratitude, to the team at UWMed, my son, my enormous weight loss and finally, the ability to be part of nature, including hiking, canoeing, camping, swimming and finally, becoming part of the Ross Lake Wilderness in such a subtle way that no one will ever know, but perhaps some good will come of it. And it will be the last moment with my beloved child, who means more to me than anyone in the world.

I won't be taking up any more space on the planet or spending eternity in a graveyard. No one will remember me or be forced to keep thinking about my life and health, except those who benefit from my death financially (I hope). I mention this with all subtlety, but I hope I'm inspiring someone else to consider this. Especially the idea of donating my body back to the medical school where my life was saved is a gesture I'd be proud of if I were alive. I respect everyone who considers this horrible, sacrilegious, obscene or <insert your own adjective here> and I hope you all respect my decision.

And honestly, I hope one person has been inspired by the idea of cadaver donation. If for no other reason, you'll save thousands of dollars disposing of something you'll never need again. It's one of the few decisions I really feel proud about.

I love your plan, I keep saying I want to be planted, but this is even better. I told my husband I would donate my body and he thought that was sad, however he can see the educational benefit of it now. I know someone who did this and I thought it was extremely generous.

I am in the Los Angeles area, I am donor in my driver linces, but there was report on LA times where they discovery on the eco system of body parts coming from people donating thier bodies...HUGE issue, they were using the bodies for cosmetic surgery and stuff like that FBI is involve, thatis making me rething my decision. it was so bad that a young men parts were uses to fill brazilian butts.

I am in the Los Angeles area, I am donor in my driver linces, but there was report on LA times where they discovery on the eco system of body parts coming from people donating thier bodies...HUGE issue, they were using the bodies for cosmetic surgery and stuff like that FBI is involve, thatis making me rething my decision. it was so bad that a young men parts were uses to fill brazilian butts.
The incident you're referring to was contained and scandalous. It had nothing to do with cadaver donations to medical schools, such as the University of Washington Medical School here in Seattle. They actually have an extremely structured program, the cadavers are used by students learning medical and surgical procedures, and after one year, they cremate the remains and give them back to you or your kin, if that's your directive. I'm so grateful to UW for all they've done to and with me relating to various medical procedures, and was attached to them via their satellite campus, Virginia Mason Hospital, where they had their bariatric and nutrition programs. And a group of students applied for my cadaver, so I know where it's going when I go. I'm just thrilled to know that I'll be part of medical advancements in bariatrics..

Also, funerals are such a blight on the planet and on families. I'd much rather donate my body to be studied and then disposed of at no cost to anyone. Any memorial service that follows will be a celebration of my life at some potluck where all the people I love will gather and say goodbye.

Just check out the scene and find out where your body will go. You can also specify where certain organs can be donated, in case you have people in your life who need a liver or kidney or even a heart, the hardest organ for people to find when they need a transplant.

Cadaver donation is good for the planet too. We put a ridiculous amount of crap in the earth. And coffins and urns are not a tiny business; they are ruled by people who make huge profits on them.

what a great idea, for me I’m parent cyborg, lol. I have had both knees replaced, rods in my back spinal cord stimulator, dental implants, and will have the bariatric surgery soon. They could play operation game. But you thought pattern could go a long way to help and prevent potential problems for others, my hat goes off for you.

I absolutely love this idea of donating the body to a medical school for research. I've told my husband this, but I really need to get on the ball and contact our local university med school to make it legal etc. Thanks for the reminder of the ultimatr responsible recycling lol

I finally took the plunge & sent off for the forms for hubby & me to donate our remains to our local university medical school. Thank you Diane for this post. It makes me feel good to be able to benefit others once I'm gone. Letting med students examine the results of bariatric surgery hopefully will help the next generation of bariatric surgeons.

I finally took the plunge & sent off for the forms for hubby & me to donate our remains to our local university medical school. Thank you Diane for this post. It makes me feel good to be able to benefit others once I'm gone. Letting med students examine the results of bariatric surgery hopefully will help the next generation of bariatric surgeons.
I'm so proud of you!!! I don't know how funeral disposing of our bodies became the thing, b ut im really gladyou came on board. and if there;s a way our souls can meet up in the great beyond, i hope we do.

Back