• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can't / Don't want to eat

RoyT

I am 13 days post op, gastric sleeve. I had my first follow up with the surgeon yesterday. He says all is well. Except I have been so fatigued. He says it is because of fluid and calorie deficiency. I am on the pureed food stage as set by my dietician, yet all I want, and can consume, are the protein shakes. And I can only drink about three a day, at best. I am drinking one full one in the morning. After that, I can only take a sip or two occasionally. Thursday, I am able to start soft foods, but I feel I'm a long ways from doing that, especially if I try to stay hydrated. Does it get easier?

I had RNY but it does get easier. I am about a month out and I sometimes find it hard to eat when I get all the fluids in.
I have noticed this week that I am able to get in more fluids than the past few weeks and it is easier to get the food down if you try to not drink for at least half an hour before and after meals.
I was so afraid of getting dehydrated but slowly but surely I am getting there and you will too.
Best of luck and keep us updated.

I am 4 weeks post sleeve and I can tell you that I felt the exact same way until I got my calories up when I started soft foods. The first day or two on soft foods was hard as well and took some getting used to, but I can tell you it definitely gets easier, overall. I still have a hard time getting all the fluids they want me to get, but you learn to get enough in to feel better. Keep your chin up, and congratulations on completing surgery!

Back