• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

cheese with no Mac

I don't know about you, but I have always been disgusted by the fact that no matter how I tried, my Mac and Cheese always ended up dry and stuck to my throat when I tried to swallow it. So I started to do research to find out why companies like Kraft could make mac and cheese so creamy.

As it turns out they use something that is part of what is now called Molecular Gastronomy, which is just a fancy way of saying that people are cooking things that are amazing to look at but require certain chemicals and tricks in order to accomplish.

One of the things that Molecular Gastronomy does so well is mac and cheese. And if you follow their recipes, you only need water cheese and sodium citrate, which you can buy on any website.

Don't worry if you are afraid that you are going to be eating some kind of foreign chemical. This is in all kinds of food you already eat.

Here's the recipe

You can improve the nutritional content of this meal by using brown rice pasta or a dozen other pastas made of vegetables instead of flour and egg how do you will reap the protein grams from each one:

Now I am not going to advocate that you Gorge yourself on this sort of dish. And you shouldn't even be trying this until you are at least a year out from surgery and have met your goals. But this particular recipe for cheese sauce is not made from a roux and contains no butter or milk. It's simply water with like a teaspoon of sodium citrate cooked and thickened, and then cheese added to it. And you can make it in very small batches at a time and pour it over your broccoli, asparagus or even make mock taco salad with it.

I bought the sodium citrate but I haven't made anything with it yet. But I'm going to. I think it would also be a really good alternative in quiche and I make a lot of quiche. But I still haven't figured out how to make an edible pie crust that isn't high in fat and carbohydrate. So more likely than not I will make a frittata instead, but I will leave out anything resembling bread.

So a recipe for that mock taco salad might be low-fat high-protein ground beef, cooked and drained well, and maybe a half cup of cheese sauce made with sodium citrate, tossed in a blender and blend until smooth. Then just put a bunch of Iceberg or butter lettuce on a plate and add tomatoes and salsa, sum some fresh cilantro some other herbs and Seasonings then the puree of beef and cheese is layered over it. That sounds good to me so I'm going to try it.

Back