• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

College Student in Need of 24 Month Post-Op Bariatric Surgery Patient for Interview

I have found someone, but I am leaving this post up until the research is done so people who are interested can keep track of the study

Hi there! My name is Shannon, and I am a student at the National University of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon. I am in my last year of my pre-med Bachelors of Integrative Health Sciences program. I am in a class called Research Methods, and the entire focus of the class is to organize and conduct an online survey that consists of 25 participants and subsequently write a research paper on the results. The study that I am conducting focuses on Americans who have undergone bariatric surgery and who are at least 24 months post-op. Currently, I am searching for a single person who fits this description to participate in a short, informal interview. The purpose of this is to speak with someone from my target demographic to ’test’ my study questions on before they get released to the public. We could conduct this interview either via phone or video call, and I am happy to work around your schedule to find a time that best suits you. This is an informal interview, so the information gathered is for explorative purposes only. I do not need to know your name, or any other identifying information about you.

If anyone is interested in helping out a college student, please send me a message. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, as I have had multiple family members who have undergone bariatric surgery and I have watched completely transform their lives for the better. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to interview family members for my project, so I am reaching out to the bariatric community for help! Thank you for your consideration.

Shannon S.

Last edited:
Hi friends! Thank you SO much for your kindness and interest. I found someone who generously donated their time to this informal interview. That being said, I am now ready to conduct my study. I will post a 40-question study questionnaire on this site and am looking for 25 participants who are at least 24 months post-op to fill it out. If you or anyone you know fits that criteria, please feel free to fill out the questionnaire! My research topic is on bariatric surgery and long-term habit change. I will absolutely post the paper once it’s done - I am really looking forward to the results! Thank you for all of your consideration!

Shannon S.

I meet your criteria... feel free to message me if you have not already found someone
Thank you eladams2015! I thankfully found another volunteer for the informal interview. I will be posting my 40-question study questionnaire on the site within the next week, so I will post that here if you are interested in filling it out. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it :)

Hello everyone! My study is now underway and I am currently seeking people who qualify to participate. It should take 10-15 minutes to complete. If you are at least 24 months post-op of any bariatric surgery and are at least 18 years of age, I would really appreciate it if you considered filling out the survey! It is completely anonymous, no identifying information will be asked, and the Google Forms platform does not save IP addresses.

Here is the survey:
Bariatric Surgery Questionnaire

Thank you in advance for your consideration, time, and help!

A grateful college student,

Shannon S.

Mandatory language that I must include:
This survey was created as a practice exercise for an undergraduate introductory research methods class at the National University of Natural Medicine. The intent of this project is to provide an educational experience about research processes and methods and is not designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge. All responses are anonymous and no personal identifying information will be collected. Data will be used for in-class learning purposes only and will neither be presented nor shared with anyone outside of the classroom. More information is provided in the beginning of the survey, including contact information for the instructor.

I just found this web site today and your text. My daughter graduated from there several years ago and loved Portland. I had surgery 10 years ago and she helped me a lot with my nutrition. I lost 130 pounds and have kept it off through diet and exercise. I consider my bariatric surgery a success and even though I originally did it to “cure” my diabetes, it gave me back my life with the weight loss.

Back