• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Energy levels 4 yrs out

Joe975

Hello, I had gastric bypass in June 2019. Lost 100 lbs within the first year. Blood pressure issues went away, sleep apnea gone, fatty liver gone, all within the first year. I started drinking alcohol and quickly learned how quickly it would intoxicate me. I went through about a 9 month period of drinking way too much and gained back 20lbs. I stopped drinking but found it fairly hard to stop, surprisingly. After a few trial and errors I found that I could tolerate a little beer but anything else was too high in alcohol. I found it best to just avoid it altogether.
I had to start taking BP meds again after about two years, but a small dose. I take my vitamins every day without fail. I also drink 80+ oz of water every day.
In 2021, I started doing CrossFit and fell in love with working out again. My strength and cardio now match what I had in my late 20’s, and I’m in my late 40’s now.
A few months ago, I started getting very lightheaded when standing up, almost blacking out. I’ve had numerous rounds of blood tests done. All results are great, just a high B12 level but that’s it. My doctor told me to drink more electrolytes like Gatorade zero and cut my BP medication in half.
That definitely helped knock out the lightheaded issue, no more close blackouts and my BP increased a little from 115/65 to 130/80.
But I’m still pretty fatigued with very low energy. Vitamin levels are good, BP good, had a bunch of heart tests done…all good or great results yet I struggle with energy levels for the past couple months.
This coincides with switching vitamins. I also had issues with diarrhea when taking Bariatric Advantage chewables. I started taking capsules and that issue went away, but my energy levels just have not been the same.
I thought it was the vitamin switch, but all bloodwork still looks normal.
I’m absolutely stumped and am curious if anyone else has gone through something similar.

I have not had this issue. While your vitamin levels are still good, I wonder if they are the same as before or if they have changed. There is a fairly large range of "normal" for levels. If you were previously at a 6, and are now at a 3, while you may be considered within range, YOUR normal level has changed.

I am not a Dr and this is just a thought. I also wonder why the vitamin started causing problems so many years out.

My doctor said I have to get 90 gr of protein per day . That’s 3 protein shakes per day that’s easy or you have to make sure you get 30 grams of protein in each of your three meals plus your snacks if you are working out. Each meal would have to contain 30 grams of protein. That means breakfast is 2 eggs plus bacon or ham , lunch and dinner would include a boneless chicken breast or a small steak. Alcohol should be avoided it messes with your system. I was drinking very little beforehand, it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore, a drink or beer once a week maybe, certainly on holidays but other than that , I can l leave it. Keep consulting with your doctor or s nutritionist or endocrinologist they can check your organ functions liver , pancreas etc

Back