• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Overwhelmed

Thanks for clarifying that. If my doctor had said I'd have to give up any alcoholic beverage to get surgery, I would have found another doctor. What's the difference between overindulging in sugar and drinking alcohol? Alcohol knocks you out, but if you drank too much, the sugar will often wake you up when you wish you were still passed out. I believe in moderation. But I am curious if anyone else here gave up booze to have surgery. To me, it sounds like a misinformed prejudice on that doctor's part.

Not drinking was a requirement prior to my surgery and they recommended that I don’t drink after. The reasons they gave were sound, that being said, I like an occasional glass of wine with dinner or with friends.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions of habits, especially when a habit is labeled an addiction. It's like the person who says, "I can quit smoking, no problem. I've done it a dozen times." Is that person an addict, or does he have periods of time when he needs to breathe more deeply, have his stress depressed by the coating of his lungs by tobacco tar, or simply have the tranquilizing effect of a nicotine habit? I say, Use your best judgment, track your habits, and your progress, and adjust your behavior accordingly.
After Gastric Bypass, Stay Alcohol Free - Taylor Bariatric Institute
https://www.taylorbariatric.com › warrenton-connections

Though most gastric bypass patients aren't explicitly forbidden to drink alcohol, it's a habit that is highly frowned upon by most bariatric surgeons, with most ...

==============================

the best reason I read for TEMPORARY cessation of drinking alcohol after surgery is here:

Can You Drink Alcohol After Weight Loss Surgery?
https://www.pennmedicine.org › updates › blogs › july

Mar 11, 2022 — Alcohol consumption further depletes glycogen, which causes your blood sugar levels to drop, putting those who have had bariatric surgery at ...

In my experience with many alcoholic friends and family (many who have died now), they'd rather drink than eat. With overeaters, they'd rather eat than do ANYTHING else, and they like doing it alone.

I wrote on a different thread that I was looking forward to drinking again. I love sitting out in the yard with my dogs on a beautiful day ,the radio on and a drink or two.
My doc never mentioned drinking .I hope I can still do it . Now that my eating will be restricted, that's one of the only pleasure I have left ;)

I wrote on a different thread that I was looking forward to drinking again. I love sitting out in the yard with my dogs on a beautiful day ,the radio on and a drink or two.
My doc never mentioned drinking .I hope I can still do it . Now that my eating will be restricted, that's one of the only pleasure I have left ;)
My new doctor has experienced with bypass patients dieing
from drinking. He been in business for 28 years. It's a pain in the butt to deal with this doctor from my side of the room. He is the six surgeon I have seen in the last six years. He has the most experience fighting with my insurance company. This is my last chance unless I hit the lottery and can self pay. However, he does not take self-pay (smile/cry).

I watch alot of people cooking low carb on Utube, and one lady did a video about becoming an alcoholic after Gastric sleeve.Never drank before.
I guess it DOES happen !
Well that sucks. I believed him. However, it feels really crappie to judged and sentence prebypass.
I am learning to take this thing one day at a time. There have been some really tough days over the last 4 months.

You know, I read every post. But apparently everyone doesn't read mine.

If you want to know about scientific facts about WLS, trust the National Institute of Health's National Library of Medicine. They can't post anything that hasn't been empirically tested, researched and tested.

That's the one about alcohol consumption.

But any person can become an alcoholic at any point in their life if that's part of their progression, just like anyone can get cancer or heart disease. But if someone gets cancer or heart disease after WLS, it's not scientifically logical to point to the surgery as the reason for subsequent disease. It has been proven by scientific research, in fact, that having WLS stopped people from dying by unplugging the fat in their heart and arteries, and empowering them to exercise or even just walk.

I have two dead siblings. They both died from organ damage (heart, liver) because of lifestyle, diabetes and obesity. My five other siblings are hanging in there, but they're all obese and really tempting fate.

I might drop dead tomorrow, but at 72, I'm in perfect health (knock wood), and I fully attribute that to dropping the 115 pounds I was carrying around for several years.

I just think it's important to see a doctor regularly, be aware of your cardiovascular system and try to be positive about life. Just writing that makes me want to go out for a walk on this beautiful sunny Seattle evening. For sure, I'm not going to dwell on any of the thousands of rumors people float around about people who have weight loss surgery. I never would have gone through all this hard work so I could have a 7" scar on my belly and then continue to fear dying from being overweight, as my siblings did.

You know, I read every post. But apparently everyone doesn't read mine.

If you want to know about scientific facts about WLS, trust the National Institute of Health's National Library of Medicine. They can't post anything that hasn't been empirically tested, researched and tested.

That's the one about alcohol consumption.

But any person can become an alcoholic at any point in their life if that's part of their progression, just like anyone can get cancer or heart disease. But if someone gets cancer or heart disease after WLS, it's not scientifically logical to point to the surgery as the reason for subsequent disease. It has been proven by scientific research, in fact, that having WLS stopped people from dying by unplugging the fat in their heart and arteries, and empowering them to exercise or even just walk.

I have two dead siblings. They both died from organ damage (heart, liver) because of lifestyle, diabetes and obesity. My five other siblings are hanging in there, but they're all obese and really tempting fate.

I might drop dead tomorrow, but at 72, I'm in perfect health (knock wood), and I fully attribute that to dropping the 115 pounds I was carrying around for several years.

I just think it's important to see a doctor regularly, be aware of your cardiovascular system and try to be positive about life. Just writing that makes me want to go out for a walk on this beautiful sunny Seattle evening. For sure, I'm not going to dwell on any of the thousands of rumors people float around about people who have weight loss surgery. I never would have gone through all this hard work so I could have a 7" scar on my belly and then continue to fear dying from being overweight, as my siblings did.
Thanks for this one and the other articles. I have been able to start and stop drinking since the age of 13 (53 presently). I never had an consequence due to drinking since age 22. I never wanted to be forced to stop drinking. However, I will give it up as needed. I need to be a healthier me. So, I think that I will join a California sober group. I am not afraid of being dry. However, I hate being lied to, he acts like, it statically impossible not to become an alcoholic after bypass if you are a post-op drinker. When I was sleeved my doctor told me, "you will never be able to use a straw" that was a bunch of bull. Lol

Back