• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally hit the protein shake wall

Lily27

2 months post op, after the 2 week liquid diet and I suddenly have nausea and feeling way too heavy in my stomach when I drink protein shakes now. I was fairly low on protein this evening so I made magic milk with fairlife milk and lactose free skim milk powder, with sugar free cocoa powder. It was too thick and sweet but it felt better in my stomach then the protein shakes. I first saw the link to magic milk on this site and it's going to be super helpful for me, so thank you! @dianeseattle

2 months post op is a great time to start weaning yourself off protein shakes. You can get the majority of your protein from actual food. Greek Yogurt and cottage cheese have quite a bit of protein and are still fairly easy to digest, even a few months out. I started adding a scoop of protein powder to a box of sugar free pudding. So, an extra 30 grams in 4 servings instead of at once but, pudding is better than protein shakes lol

If you still need the protein shakes, or magic milk, add fruits, extracts, or herbs to tone down the sweetness.

Back