• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First Steps Have Been Taken.

Thalia

Yesterday, I went into the doctor's office to talk about the Gastric Sleeve as an option. It went well and am on my way to making all the necessary appointments. This was not a decision I took lightly. I am scared and nervous and excited wrapped all into one. My partner has been really supportive of my decision. The hardest part has been finding a Support Group. Anyone know of any? Are partners allowed to attend? He wants to go through this journey by my side and the main part for him is the education. He wants to understand what is in store for me. Is it wrong that I have decided to be very private about the surgery. I haven't let any one outside of my partner know.

Just a few thoughts. I am so happy for you now that you have taken that 1st big step. You should check with your bariatric team for advice. They may have their own support group meetings; mine has monthly group meetings. They might have a list of local support groups. And of course we will be here cheering you on.

You will find a mix of whom we shared our WLS journey with. Some have kept it very private to avoid judgmental comments. Others have been able to share with one and all. Most of us share selectively with some friends & family. Telling folks you are working on getting healthier may help explain your lifestyle changes and weight loss.

Best of luck. The more you share and join in conversations here, the more you will feel supported and learn from others.

Just a few thoughts. I am so happy for you now that you have taken that 1st big step. You should check with your bariatric team for advice. They may have their own support group meetings; mine has monthly group meetings. They might have a list of local support groups. And of course we will be here cheering you on.

You will find a mix of whom we shared our WLS journey with. Some have kept it very private to avoid judgmental comments. Others have been able to share with one and all. Most of us share selectively with some friends & family. Telling folks you are working on getting healthier may help explain your lifestyle changes and weight loss.

Best of luck. The more you share and join in conversations here, the more you will feel supported and learn from others.
Thank you for the encouraging words!

Yesterday, I went into the doctor's office to talk about the Gastric Sleeve as an option. It went well and am on my way to making all the necessary appointments. This was not a decision I took lightly. I am scared and nervous and excited wrapped all into one. My partner has been really supportive of my decision. The hardest part has been finding a Support Group. Anyone know of any? Are partners allowed to attend? He wants to go through this journey by my side and the main part for him is the education. He wants to understand what is in store for me. Is it wrong that I have decided to be very private about the surgery. I haven't let any one outside of my partner know.

i kept mine pretty private, my boyfriend and best friend know && that’s it! I decided not to tell my family, work, friends, etc. i did it for my own sanity!

Congrats on your decision. My program had a seminar that you could bring a support person to, so that they could at least learn the basics of the program. I would absolutely recommend finding a video or series of videos to watch together. I'm sure your bariatric doctors can recommend a local support group and I don't see why you would not be able to attend together. Good Luck.

Back