• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

From post-op to revision changing the scale in my mind

I want to start this by stating my self-esteem has never been low; well not since age 13. Additionally, I'hv never been physically perfect. And, after being sleeved my life changed.

I never lived in shadows. Yet, when I got under 200 lbs people (men especially) treated me differently. It's not that I received some up dose of confidence. I have and always will love me!

What happened:

My friends and colleagues talked about my weight-loss daily. I was use to attention. However, the attention became overwhelming!
I remember going into a trendy retail store. While trying on a medium size skirt it fell to the floor. Peaking from behind the drap of the fitting room I asked, "does this skirts run big?" The helpful sales person said, in very condescending voice "No." At that point I just felt exposed and naked. I gain back 60 pounds in part because I never had to explain my fatness.

I am a work in progress:

Over the last 3 years I started rebuilding myself from the inside. I am down to 215 pounds. My revision is a tool for better health. Seven years ago my starting weight was almost 300 pounds. I am learning to disconnect the negative voices outside of my head.

Hint:

Never let anyone take away from your success. Lastly, don't be afraid to start over and over and over. Our best health is worth the fight!

After surgery, I had a light bulb moment. It dawned on me what a psychological journey this is. I never realized in my years of going up and down on the scale, how my thoughts and feelings effected my relationship with food and my body. Duh. I love that they require psychological evaluation during this process. I’ve taken up journaling to keep myself in check, it’s a great tool! Wishing you good luck on your journey!

I am almost a year out from my surgery. I have lost 68 pounds. But one problem, I feel I am gaining weight back. I cannot figure out how to keep losing the weight. Does anyone have any ideas please

You can answer this question better than anyone, because only you know what you're eating. The weight doesn't come back magically. It needs help from the gatekeeper--you.

It's not a mystery. And only one thing seems to work--tracking what you eat.

Be honest with yourself, and if you still feel confused, WRITE DOWN every bite, every crumb. You are surely taking in more calories or your weight wouldn't be creeping back up.

Self-honesty is one of the hardest attributes to develop. For a few weeks or months you'll have to bite down and push, and you might be possessed by the demon to pig out every minute of the day. But if you do it, it's like building muscles. You'll be stronger and your cravings will be weaker.

This is hard, but YOU CAN DO IT. You've been given the gift of WLS, so physically, you're ahead. But the eating disorder that's controlling your brain is fighting against it.

Knuckle down, say affirmations, love yourself, fantasize about pretty clothes and loving that aerobics class, enjoy every bite of your delicious healthy food, refuse to feel shame or self-criticism instead of falling into depression. There are no magic words but loving yourself brings magic into your own power.

I kicked my metabolism into gear after a long stall by walking... in the North Cascade mountain range. I hated hiking when i was young and fit, but I was so grateful for it after RYGB. I lost 115 pounds over 14 months. The stall didn't matter. Only the end result did.

Don't let yourself linger in this nasty place. Choose self-empowerment and the right path. You CAN get back on track.

I am almost a year out from my surgery. I have lost 68 pounds. But one problem, I feel I am gaining weight back. I cannot figure out how to keep losing the weight. Does anyone have any ideas please
Weight and chart you food. Drink the correct amount of water. Don't be afraid of your scale and speak with your doctor. Don't be afraid to seek counseling. WLS is just a tool. The battle starts when you have to do the mind work.

Back